Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Help Needed
Mask Help Needed
Hello,
I am looking to try out a new CPAP mask as mine isn’t as effective as it once was and was looking for suggestions.  I have been using a BiPap for 7 years with the old school comfort gel blue mask. I recently had weight loss surgery and lost 130lbs+.  The mask just doesn’t sit on my face right anymore.  On top of that, here are other things to know: 

Short Beard
Always have used nasal mask, but would like to switch to pillows
Mouth breathing is a constant problem.  I have tried chin straps but they never seem to domuch of anything.  
I have developed major gum issues from the pressure.  The dentist is working to try to reduce the inflammation but we are not having much luck.
Full face mask is not an option due to my gums and dry mouth
I have some issues with the upper part of my nose and do not breath well because of it. I tried having it fixed surgically but it did not help.  The surgeon suggested some serious reconstructive surgery but I passed on it as the only issue I have is this.
The last few months I have woken up with a sticky, tar like “goo” in my mouth, on my tongue and on my teeth.  Seriously the first thing I do in the morning before brushing is scrape it off my tongue. My best guess is this is from my sinuses?  I do drink water after I brush at night, but I cant imagine that is causing this.  

I just recently downloaded sleepyhead and have begun to play with the settings on my machine.  It was at a 16 inhale / 16 exhale and I dropped that down…which was an improvement in my sleep quality.  I will continue to play with this and try to get it as close to perfect as possible.  As I learn more about the machines settings I think its clear its time to make a mask change. My supplier is terrible and I am looking to move to an online supplier so going in to “test” different masks is not an option.  With that said, please hit me with mask recommendations!

So after that long preamble, what masks would you suggest for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Help Needed
For pillow mask I recommend the Resmed P10 above all others. For the mouth leaking you can use a soft cervical to your jaw from dropping open.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

What is the best mask?   The one that works for you.  We are all unique individuals, with unique facial features.  What works for me may or may not work for you.  Masks MUST be tried on, under pressure and preferably in a sleeping position.  There is no substitute for this.

That said I'll try to suggest something. As you can see I do have something of a beard, short? I wouldn't call it that.  My primary mask is the ResMed P10 pillow mask.  It is quiet and rests on, not in, the nares/openings of the nose.   It is the smallest most unobtrusive mask on the market.  Based on what you say above it is a mask that you should TRY.

It also sounds like you are mouth breathing, we could possibly verify that if you post your daily chart (Sleepyhead).  
There is a med called Biotene which may help relieve your symptoms.

Read the Mask Primer (see my signature) It contains many hints on k=masks, fitting and mouth breathing.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
As a side note, don't make changes quickly. Make a pressure change then wait at least a week, preferably more. You cannot go by the night-to-night data. You are looking for trends. Far too much goes into a night's sleep (stress, diet, atmosphere, etc)

As for mask, there's a lot out there. If your mask was causing issues with your teeth it was either too tight or the wrong size.

You can also consider the total face mask, such as the FitLife Total. Another is to use a soft cervical collar and nasal pillows.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 155 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 180 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 367 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 186 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,670 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 187 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 124 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.