Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quoted $2000 for a CPAP set up by RT - can't afford, what other options out there?
Quoted $2000 for a CPAP set up by RT - can't afford, what other options out there?
I got quoted about $2000 for a DreamStation Pro, humidifier, heated tubing, and one other thing (filters maybe? it was $30 on the quote) - free mask is included in the price. I'm in Canada and my healthcare doesn't cover this, and I don't have extended benefits so it's all out of pocket for me. $2000 is a lot to swallow in one go and I have a feeling this is an inflated cost. 

What would be more reasonable do you think? All I know for sure is that I'm really happy with the ResMed Airfit P10 for Her in size small for nasal pillows. I would probably prefer to buy new over used just because the Craigslist in my area seems sketchy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quoted $2000 for a CPAP set up by RT - can't afford, what other options out there?
This problem has been solved way cheaper recently. That's like 2.5 times too much. If you search through the threads here from last 3 months or so, you'll get some ideas.

The other possibility....who do you know in the US?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quoted $2000 for a CPAP set up by RT - can't afford, what other options out there?
I am in Canada also.  What provnice are you in?  If you can believe it, prices vary from province to province.  My province Ontario is probably the lowest.  I  do have the name of an online vendor who has packages around $, but I have to check and see if they are on the list here.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2018, 02:15 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: This problem has been solved way cheaper recently. That's like 2.5 times too much. If you search through the threads here from last 3 months or so, you'll get some ideas.

The other possibility....who do you know in the US?

I'll see if I can look through the threads, there seem to be a lot. I have a mailbox in the US if that counts? And some friends.

(01-12-2018, 02:21 PM)Cpapian Wrote: I am in Canada also.  What provnice are you in?  If you can believe it, prices vary from province to province.  My province Ontario is probably the lowest.  I  do have the name of an online vendor who has packages around $, but I have to check and see if they are on the list here.

I'm in BC, I bet everything is expensive out her (per usual). You can PM me the name and I'll do my due diligence if they're not on the list.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2018, 02:12 PM)BCPNWsleep Wrote: I got quoted about $2000 for a DreamStation Pro, humidifier, heated tubing, and one other thing (filters maybe? it was $30 on the quote) - free mask is included in the price. I'm in Canada and my healthcare doesn't cover this, and I don't have extended benefits so it's all out of pocket for me. $2000 is a lot to swallow in one go and I have a feeling this is an inflated cost. 

What would be more reasonable do you think? All I know for sure is that I'm really happy with the ResMed Airfit P10 for Her in size small for nasal pillows. I would probably prefer to buy new over used just because the Craigslist in my area seems sketchy.

Go to Amazon and look up the "AirSense 10 AutoSet for her 37209 Sistemma".  That is the seller.  They will sell you a new For Her for about $575 USD and will quote the shipping and any fees to Canada, or you could just call 425-505-3065 for customer service.  Supplier #2 ships to Canada and is reasonable. 

The Dreamstation Pro is worth about $700 retail on a good day, so the price you were quoted is outrageous, even though you are paying for service and support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay. It is supplier no 32. They are in Richmond Hill, Ontario. Just north of Toronto. So no need to go through customs. Do your cost comparisons, if you order in USD add another third for exchange.

Their price includes, to my memory, a climate line hose and a mask. So it's a package deal.

Funny, my DME is a Vancouver based company. They were really nice.

Ontario gov't has negotiated the prices for machines. They are 860 for CPAP and 1,060 for APAP. The govt pays 75% of the cost.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
A US mailbox is a big benefit, as are great over-the-border friends......  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2018, 04:00 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: A US mailbox is a big benefit, as are great over-the-border friends......  Wink

Are the CPAP units significantly cheaper in the states? Would they accept a prescription from a Canadian doctor?

(01-12-2018, 03:07 PM)Cpapian Wrote: Okay. It is supplier no 32.  They are in Richmond Hill, Ontario.  Just north of Toronto.  So no need to go through customs.  Do your cost comparisons, if you order in USD add another third for exchange.

Their price includes, to my memory, a climate line hose and a mask.  So it's a package deal.

Funny, my DME is a Vancouver based company.  They were really nice.

Ontario gov't has negotiated the prices for machines.  They are 860 for CPAP and 1,060 for APAP.  The govt pays 75% of the cost.

Thank you, I"ll check them out. There do seem to be some much more reasonable package deals even with just the Canadian suppliers. 
Also - your government covers 75%??? That's incredible. Apparently BC MSP will not cover a thing for CPAPs here (according to my doctor). Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Sistemma, mentioned by Sleeprider, is in Washington State near Seattle.

He also has a website and mentions that international customers do not require a prescription. I can't link his website though. I think the name is "Get in shape!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I was prescribed XPAP, I am very happy I live in Ontario.  I think it is the most  generous coverage of all the provinces.  As a result of this the prices are lower here too.  So it helps to remove the price gouging from the DMEs.  Although they try to make it back on the masks, hoses and auxiliary stuff. 

Sleep-well
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,881 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,158 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Just received Phillips refurb ASV machine - options? Labromaniac 3 517 11-20-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Resvent iBreeze C20 replacement - Options? sheldor 3 888 03-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Good Info Here on Treatment Options cmpman1974 0 364 03-01-2023, 11:19 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  DreamStation Sleep Therapy Humidification Options (PDF) SwirlySauce 3 911 09-07-2022, 09:02 PM
Last Post: zellem

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.