Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RAID 1 issues
I was never able to migrate my RAID 1 mirror to an SSD. So, this machine is still running two 1TB WD Black HDDs in mirror using Intel Rapid Storage technology.

Once in a while, I run the IRST verify; and it will come up with less than 10 verify errors; zero data errors. I cannot find what they mean by a verification error. I've Googl'ed the blazes out of it; others ask the same question, no definitive answer found.

Today, I had a program that seemed to hang. I killed the process. I rebooted; and the IRST decided to run a verify on the array. It found 82 errors.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I'm wondering if I should have used the WD RED drives instead of the Black.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-25-2015 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: RAID 1 issues
(05-25-2015 06:30 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I was never able to migrate my RAID 1 mirror to an SSD. So, this machine is still running two 1TB WD Black HDDs in mirror using Intel Rapid Storage technology.

Once in a while, I run the IRST verify; and it will come up with less than 10 verify errors; zero data errors. I cannot find what they mean by a verification error. I've Googl'ed the blazes out of it; others ask the same question, no definitive answer found.

Today, I had a program that seemed to hang. I killed the process. I rebooted; and the IRST decided to run a verify on the array. It found 82 errors.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I'm wondering if I should have used the WD RED drives instead of the Black.

Hi Mongo,
At my company, we have deployed a few machine with Intel Software RAID, implemented in the machine's BIOS. I have NOTHING good to say about Intel RAID.

(A.) Any RAID 1 (mirroring) system should operate so that any member drive can be taken out of the array and operated as a single drive, with no issues. The data (including an OS, boot track, etc.) should be fully intact and operate seamlessly unRAIDed. Intel RAID does not work this way. A single drive from an Intel RAID 1 array appears as unintelligible as if it were encrypted, and is useless unless the RAID is returned to operation, whatever that takes.

(B.) Intel RAID is extremely picky about the member drives. We recently had a drive failure, and the array would only accept an IDENTICAL brand and model of replacement. Anything else (including the same Mfg and capacity) was not recognized by the RAID controller. The only worse situation we've seen was a NAS unit that would only accept identical Brand, Model, and FIRMWARE.

(C.) The Intel RAID interface is crude and unforgiving, and doesn't provide much information about what it sees.

We no longer deploy systems using Intel RAID, in any mode.

At this point, I would suggest the following:
1. Find some good imaging software, and take an image of your system to some external media (commonly USB or network storage). This is always a good idea regardless of RAID, non-RAID, whatever scheme is employed. In the past, we have used Acronis TrueImage products. Currently, we are using NovaStore, especially for systems using UEFI instead of BIOS for booting.

2. (If your system is a laptop/notebook may not be feasible) Check the BIOS of your unit to see if it can boot from an external RAID. If so, find some external RAID enclosure (we often use Star Tech units - they meet (A) above), and attempt to restore the image of your machine to the external RAID, then see if it boots.
Note that you will have to disable the Intel RAID setup in BIOS before you can test the external RAID setup. I would disconnect the internal drives from power and record the BIOS settings before this experiment. Under no circumstance, should this be attempted without a fully verified image backup of the machine.

If you have more questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
05-26-2015 05:16 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

In my attempt to migrate to a single SSD (1TB Samsung 850 Pro,) I cloned drive 0 using a Star Tech stand alone drive cloner.
That cloned SSD would boot as a single drive with the BIOS set in RAID mode (and no second drive in the array.)
What I could not do, is get the SSD to boot when I set the BIOS to AHCI mode. I even did a regedit to make sure the MS AHCI driver was starting. No joy. It just blue screens. So, I'm stuck with RAID 1 in this machine.

These verify errors trouble me. No one seems to know what that means... it's been asked and unanswered in many online forums.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-26-2015 06:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Is IRST made for scanning SSD?

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-27-2015 06:29 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

(05-27-2015 06:29 AM)AlanE Wrote:  Is IRST made for scanning SSD?

I don't know.

On the machine I built with Samsung SSD's, I am using Samsung's software to manage my SSDs. It makes sure things like TRIM are active to level wear.

05-27-2015 07:26 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

HD quality (or at least quality control) sure has gone to hades. Another feather in the cap of SSD. Now if they can just drop the price some more.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-27-2015 09:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What's up with my Intel RAID? justMongo 3 72 12-02-2016 06:29 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Anyone know of a similar forum for hearing issues? stanleydean 8 983 10-09-2015 02:37 PM
Last Post: quip
  [Health] Eye Issues PaulaO2 7 2,146 04-17-2015 05:24 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Breaking a RAID 1 array justMongo 38 2,515 03-26-2015 01:26 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Cool Hereditary Issues PollCat 9 1,849 03-09-2014 03:35 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Pharmacy Issues justMongo 6 1,741 12-14-2013 12:05 AM
Last Post: justMongo
Exclaimation Godaddy sites all DOWN... DNS issues [Sept 10, 2012] SuperSleeper 12 4,478 10-05-2012 07:44 AM
Last Post: Duckdog58