Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RDI vs AHI on Sleepyhead-does it even work?
Question 
RDI vs AHI on Sleepyhead-does it even work?
The apnea–hypopnea index (AHI) is an index of sleep apnea severity that combines apneas and hypopneas. The apneas (pauses in breathing) must last for at least 10 seconds and are associated with a decrease in blood oxygenation.

[respiratory disturbance index (RDI). The respiratory disturbance index is similar to the apnea-hypopnea index; however, it also includes respiratory events that do not technically meet the definitions of apneas or hypopneas, but do disrupt sleep.]

[respiratory-effort related arousals (RERAs).[1] RERAs are arousals from sleep that do not technically meet the definitions of apneas or hypopneas, but do disrupt sleep. They are abrupt transitions from a deeper stage of sleep to a shallower.]

RDI = (RERAs + Hypopneas + apneas) X 60 / TST (in minutes). That is, RDI means the average number of episodes of apnea, hypopnea, and respiratory event-related arousal per hour of sleep.[3] (TST is "total sleep time".)

So I switched Sleepyhead to RDI instead of AHI...but the few nights I have used it..it is basically the exact same number as my AHI because the RERA's are all 0?
So I take it either my PRS1 Autosv Advanced doesn't/can't register RERA's or Sleepyhead can't.

Anyone more informed on the subject than I am or who uses RDI on sleepyhead and it actually shows RERA's?
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RDI vs AHI on Sleepyhead-does it even work?
See this POST

It might be a little help.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RDI vs AHI on Sleepyhead-does it even work?
(06-28-2013, 03:15 PM)Bompa Wrote: See this POST

It might be a little help.

Coffee

ehh..not really..lol

I have seen some videos of sleepyhead on youtube by people with REMSTAR machines referencing RDI numbers..so I will assume that my PR S1 Autosv Advanced....as advanced as it is..does not have the data capabilities for detecting RERA's since obviously Sleepyhead does show them when given that data.

That sucks..but I am still really stoked that my AHI is <5 the first 3 nights I have slept with this new machine...I couldnt get any lower than 18 for a night or 2 on the Bipap s/t...and sometimes it was as high as 60 for the last 3 years.

Another big Thank You and hug to vsheline for his suggestions on my initial pressure settings....Tho I did tweak a few of the numbers he suggested just a tad..he pretty much hit the nail right square on the head the first time.
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 621 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,371 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 752 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  RESMED S9 Smart Stop does not work Taxifahrt 20 13,321 05-14-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Patt1
  High AHI, Extreme Fatigue, Cannot get CPAP or BiPap to work exchanged 2 599 04-28-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: exchanged
  [Diagnosis] Can Cpap "work" but still be useless in treating symptoms? tom41 13 1,086 04-25-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.