Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

REM SLEEP - Home Detection
RE: REM SLEEP - Home Detection
Just a quick comparison looks like there is some relationship between the respirations and the reported sleep sate. I will do some paste up and post an imgur or two later in the day, busy for a while though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention that I read up on the physical characteristics of REM sleep before I went looking at my results.  I believe in full disclosure. 
-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is an interesting article on actual comparison from sleep trackers to an actual PSG; the fitbit is one of the devices. Author is Dr. Christopher Winter, also author of The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep is Broken and How to Fix it referenced by others on this site. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-christo...92760.html It appears that data from sleep trackers is arbitrary at best. It’s probably as easy to predict our sleep quality by how we feel the next day and possibly if we had a good dream, satisfies me!!
Post Reply Post Reply
This article does not cover fitbit's latest revision which now attempts to identify the sleep stages. That only came out in early 2017.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe I gave up too easily, still like the original thought process, we shall see where it goes from here, thanks TASmart for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Jawbone UP3 device also indicates the sleep stages, and can be found for about half the price of the fitbit trackers compatible with the latest sleep stages.

I don't believe there is much difference between the data gathered from both.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Fitbit tracks movement and heart rate but little else. The fitbit has a 3 axis accelerometer to track your motions and a wrist based pulse detector. How this could accurately determine REM sleep is in the realms of science fiction
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2017, 06:10 AM)holden4th Wrote: The Fitbit tracks movement and heart rate but little else. The fitbit has a 3 axis accelerometer to track your motions and a wrist based pulse detector. How this could accurately determine REM sleep is in the realms of science fiction

Well, apparently, there are some patterns of variations of heart rate during the various sleep stages, as well as movement or not, so that's how they guess the various stages.

Best thing available for using at home, and will never be as accurate as a full PSG, with electrodes, of course...
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe is possible by heart rate, home ecg are cheap.
http://www.psycho.hes.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~la.../P-205.pdf

I was looking into a cap style EEG.
[commercial link removed.  Instead, do a google search for "EMOTIV Insight 5 Channel Mobile EEG"]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Personal111, that's pretty neat, now all we need is the alogarythim. I looked for it and found some data but the math they showed hurt my head!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 82 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,910 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,602 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,323 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.