Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

REM Sleep - Can SleepHead Give a Determination--or Guestimate?
I occasionally see REM sleep mentioned in posts, but how you you check on it without an EKG?
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know it's a basic guess, even when using the graphs in SleepyHead.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt that SleepyHead can help, but an IR video camera might catch the Rapid Eye Movements (the eyeballs moving behind the eyelids) - as long as you happen to be facing it.

Anybody for building a home sleep lab?
Post Reply Post Reply

Two small skin sensors could catch the eye muscle movement during REM.
Sort of an electromyogram. A couple of LM741 OP Amps could be used as a filter and amplifier.
[Image: pBt22Od.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone on the forum said that respiration during REM looks like awake respiration and that you can use respiration patterns to guess. I ran that by my sleepdoc who agreed...

I used that logic to ascertain that when I began therapy, I was getting 2 REM periods per night when lucky, and often only 1. After 6 mo of therapy was getting 2 to 3 and now it is 3 to 4. It did take a full year for me to really feel rested, and I figure that is a big part of the reason.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
You can never be sure unless it's show up in a lab study. In my case, the only time I have apnea/hypopnea is during near REM or REM. Showed that on both studies. Other people don't have such significant demarcation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breath Not Detected on Latest Sleephead Version SideSleeper 4 213 06-04-2017, 06:31 AM
Last Post: car54
  Why did I give $100 to the Sleep Apnea Association for the CPAP Assistance Program??? ineedhelpandadvice12 4 236 06-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question What would a theorectically perfect night Sleephead readouts look? CPAPreturnee 6 224 06-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Last Post: CPAPreturnee
  SleepHead issues JD007 11 620 01-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Last Post: JD007
  AHI won't go below 9 - sleephead screenshot shona 8 624 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Interpreting Sleephead Stats EPAP GaryMann 4 602 08-28-2016, 11:18 PM
Last Post: GaryMann
Angry Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP Unloadit 27 1,524 07-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Last Post: justMongo