Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

REM Sleep - Can SleepHead Give a Determination--or Guestimate?
REM Sleep - Can SleepHead Give a Determination--or Guestimate?
I occasionally see REM sleep mentioned in posts, but how you you check on it without an EKG?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: REM Sleep - Can SleepHead Give a Determination--or Guestimate?
As far as I know it's a basic guess, even when using the graphs in SleepyHead.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt that SleepyHead can help, but an IR video camera might catch the Rapid Eye Movements (the eyeballs moving behind the eyelids) - as long as you happen to be facing it.

Anybody for building a home sleep lab?
Post Reply Post Reply
Two small skin sensors could catch the eye muscle movement during REM.
Sort of an electromyogram. A couple of LM741 OP Amps could be used as a filter and amplifier.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone on the forum said that respiration during REM looks like awake respiration and that you can use respiration patterns to guess. I ran that by my sleepdoc who agreed...

I used that logic to ascertain that when I began therapy, I was getting 2 REM periods per night when lucky, and often only 1. After 6 mo of therapy was getting 2 to 3 and now it is 3 to 4. It did take a full year for me to really feel rested, and I figure that is a big part of the reason.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
You can never be sure unless it's show up in a lab study. In my case, the only time I have apnea/hypopnea is during near REM or REM. Showed that on both studies. Other people don't have such significant demarcation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity FHTC 8 127 04-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 221 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 252 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,416 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Can someone give an opinion on these results ? Gregsleep 11 861 09-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the ResMed 'For Her' settings? Robert89 2 528 09-16-2023, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 22 3,439 08-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Apnea45

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.