Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

REM Sleep
RE: REM Sleep
I followed up on your recommendations and learned a lot more. I was very surprised to learn that the cost for the dreem2 was only $499. In researching the Fitbit I find that they are claiming to utilize the worlds top sleep researchers and research labs to produce their algorithms. With the dreem device the inventor claims that is all, to use his words, BS. If anyone produces a technology that really works I could see them being bought out by Phillips or Resmed and that technology being incorporated into CPAP machines. Probably next week I will start reporting on my findings from the Fitbit. Thanks again
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
I look forward to your comments on Fitbit. I almost got one.

I have to admit I got tired of waiting for a well engineered device that looks at brainwaves and gives meaningful feedback.

I have purchased several over the years, none have survived the test of time.

Fitbit on the other hand is robust and sturdy. The only drawback I can see is the oximetry side of the device, witch they are having problems with according to the reviews. Their decision to go with a green light source, instead of the red and infrared, is a departure from the norm, I don't fully understand.

Look up oximetry and you will see what I mean! Having the worlds top sleep researchers and research labs to produce their algorithms is definitely a plus, and they have been in production quite a while with a large customer base to draw upon for feedback.

I do not agree with the inventor of Dreem that these other technologies do not have merit and are BS, he is being overly opinionated and harsh. It is like comparing a hunting knife to a scalpel, different tools for different jobs!

I think this subject deserves a new thread what do ya think?
Post Reply Post Reply
Over the last 6 months I have tried to find correlations between my cpap graphs and the sleep stage charts from my fitbit (charge II HR).  One thing is absolutely clear is that fitbit nails the periods I am awake.  Over the years I have learned that when I am awake I always see a lowered respiration rate, a more chaotic flow rate (including frequent false centrals - false since I am awake and controlling the breathing), and no signal at all in the flow limit graph.  These are always identified up as "awake" periods in the fitbit sleep chart.  Beyond that, the fitbit results are more difficult to identify.  It is seems that the fitbit results are based on extensive massaging of the HR data.  They require an extended period of heart rate measurements (> 3 hours) to establish a baseline sleeping heart rate.  They then look for small local increases (identified with inhalation) and decreases (identified with exhalation) to determine a local respiration rate.  There is not much detail available as to how they extract the data but I doubt that they are able to track each individual breath accurately.  It is more likely they use a moving average of several breaths to obtain deviations from a mean respiration rate.  The periods on the fitbit charts identified as REM sleep almost always corresponds to a lower than the mean respiration rate on the Oscar chart.  As far as periods identified as deep sleep, I can find no corresponding pattern in the Oscar charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2019, 10:47 PM)RWS0022 Wrote: Hay 3rdMarDiv, Thanks for your comments!

It got me interested in checking out the Fitbit Smart Watch technology again. I can't say that I have personal experience with Fitbit, but if you do 2 searches it will answer your questions.

First search the biggest on line retailer you can think of for ( Fitbit Versa Smart Watch ) just copy and paste without the brackets and read the Customer Reviews, this is not an endorsement of a particular retailer but instead a resource to get informational reviews directly from the end user who have used the device.

Look for one that has 5,000 or more reviews, note the ratios of satisfied customers to not so satisfied, and why! Pay particular attention to the not so satisfied, that alone reveals a lot!

The other search to do is ( Fitbit wiki ) this is another resource that is quite illuminating!

I haven't been able to confirm the actual price of the Dreem 2 but I have heard rumors that it is under $500.

The ( Dreem 2 ) is only used as a sleep aid by directly monitoring your brain wave state. Do A Google search and take a look.
I'm sure the Dreem2 will be a step closer to what we are all looking for..Perfection..LOL Right now I'm working on a shoe string budget until I learn more. Just started using the Alta HR Fitbit and am cautiously impressed. Time will tell. 

If you do get the Dreem2 please post on it and I will read your comments.
Thanks
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
And have a look at the ResMed S+ sleep monitoring device

(google "S+ sleep sensor")

It apparently uses microwave doppler radar to sense body movements, and claims to monitor breathing and even heat rate.

Sounds like a tall story, but being made by Resmed gives it credibility.

Is surprisingly cheap at Amazon.

regards ... Zim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep HQ now can import Apple Watch sleep data JCW888 2 1,888 06-02-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  [Admin Note] Sleep data needed for Sleep Master development! Jack_Russell_Fan 21 5,915 11-30-2017, 04:54 AM
Last Post: sammiller

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.