Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: resmed
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
REMstar 100M pressure question
is there a way I can make the pressure the same on exhale as it is on inhale ??? when i breathe out at night it is louder on exhale and keeps me awake... I only use this machine when I travel and i am not used to it...As i seen in the presure adjust thread it mentions nothing about that ????

I now know this is a bipap machine and when i am home i use a cpap machine... is this the difference why i am hearing the sound ???

I will also be looking into a new smaller machine for when i travel.. My machine at home has a humidifier but when traveling it is no big deal as I use a full face mask ...

any help would be great even if pressure cant be changed .......at least I will know

Thanks and sorry if this was posted by someone before
I am a newbie

Rick
09-08-2013 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: REMstar 100M pressure question
Hi fuzzman716,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions.

trish6hundred
09-08-2013 04:59 PM
RonWessels Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS560TS
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ComfortGel Blue
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Tube DS6T
CPAP Pressure: 11 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter

Actually, what you want is for the pressure to be less when you exhale to reduce the noise.

Here's what's happening. The CPAP is trying to keep a fixed pressure in your airway. Because of the mask vents, it must keep a constant airflow to keep the pressure up when you are not breathing. When you inhale, you are taking some of that airflow into your lungs, so less goes out the vents. When you exhale, you are adding extra airflow into the mask, so more air goes out the vents.

If you are hearing extra noise on exhale, the noise is coming from the mask vents. If you are hearing extra noise on inhale, the noise is coming from either the hose or the humidifier, since the CPAP must increase the airflow on inhale to maintain the pressure.

I don't know anything about the REMstar 100m, but on the PRS1 REMstar machines I have, the C-Flex, C-Flex+, or A-Flex setting controls the pressure reduction on exhale.
09-10-2013 10:49 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
fuzzman716 Offline

Members

Machine: remstar 100m
Mask Make & Model: resmed
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: unsure

Other Comments:

(09-10-2013 10:49 AM)RonWessels Wrote:  Actually, what you want is for the pressure to be less when you exhale to reduce the noise.

Here's what's happening. The CPAP is trying to keep a fixed pressure in your airway. Because of the mask vents, it must keep a constant airflow to keep the pressure up when you are not breathing. When you inhale, you are taking some of that airflow into your lungs, so less goes out the vents. When you exhale, you are adding extra airflow into the mask, so more air goes out the vents.

If you are hearing extra noise on exhale, the noise is coming from the mask vents. If you are hearing extra noise on inhale, the noise is coming from either the hose or the humidifier, since the CPAP must increase the airflow on inhale to maintain the pressure.

I don't know anything about the REMstar 100m, but on the PRS1 REMstar machines I have, the C-Flex, C-Flex+, or A-Flex setting controls the pressure reduction on exhale.

I think I will be calling my Dr to get a new script for a new machine. My sleep provider says it has been 5 years since I got a new machine. I bought this machine as a backup and only use it when traveling. Trouble is i have been on the road for 2 weeks and i havent slept much with it.
09-10-2013 08:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  REMStar SE with DOT Compliance musicman85 11 349 12-01-2016 09:08 PM
Last Post: musicman85
  philips remstar auto a-flex skylersdad 2 149 11-29-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 213 11-29-2016 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,235 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  [Equipment] Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Issue PreciousRoy1981 27 24,069 09-30-2016 06:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  REMStar BiPAP AutoSV Advanced warmbear 3 270 09-28-2016 06:33 PM
Last Post: TWO44
  Low pressure auto button off question Lanco 1 226 09-21-2016 04:42 AM
Last Post: Lanco