Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

leak advice
leak advice
I've been using cpap for roughly 6 months now. The last couple of weeks I've been getting high leak rates, and unsure why or how to stop them. This also results in my eyes and sinuses being filled with air, feeling worse than if I hadn't used the machine and me struggling to stay positive about this whole experience.

Previously my avg leak was around 12-14L/min. And fairly flat throughout the night.

I've been having instances roughly 1hour apart and lasting 30mins give or take with max leak rate.

Mask is clean, I'm freshly shaved before bed, all equipment is new and has worked fine with weeks of no issues, no changes in settings or pressures...
Any ideas of what could be causing it or how to rectify it?

[Image: joMQ8ZR.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leak advice
An F10 should not leak so much at 9cm fixed. I am assuming that it was working fine for 5+ months.

Things to evaluate/try:
1) How old is the mask cushion? The silicone may start breaking down.
2) have you Adjusted your straps' tension lately. They may stretch over time and your goldilocks setting may have moved due to this.
3) when the machine starts, do you lift off the mask a little bit from the face to let the silicone seal to inflate?
4) are you tightening it too much? In my experience with F10, I would tighten the top 2 straps snug and the bottom 2 were left much loose.
5) Have you tried mask liners? In my experience, they made the whole Process much manageable. They eliminated the need to shave before masking up too.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2015, 12:29 AM)AshSF Wrote: An F10 should not leak so much at 9cm fixed. I am assuming that it was working fine for 5+ months.

Things to evaluate/try:
1) How old is the mask cushion? The silicone may start breaking down.
mask is 8 weeks old
2) have you Adjusted your straps' tension lately. They may stretch over time and your goldilocks setting may have moved due to this.
Headgear is also only 8 weeks old, have reset it a couple of times.
3) when the machine starts, do you lift off the mask a little bit from the face to let the silicone seal to inflate?
Yep
4) are you tightening it too much? In my experience with F10, I would tighten the top 2 straps snug and the bottom 2 were left much loose.
Describes how I set it up very closely.
5) Have you tried mask liners? In my experience, they made the whole Process much manageable. They eliminated the need to shave before masking up too.
Never tried them, will do some research... Any brand in particular work for you?

Post Reply Post Reply
I would tighten the top 2 straps such that the top part of the mask cushion would be tight at the bridge of the nose(when the cushion inflates). But the bottom 2 straps were loose enough that I could grind my teeth without any issues.

I used to cut mask liners out of an old worn out tshirt. You can google 'DIY mask liner'. Somebody has a template online that I used to cut Mine.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting

First big leak is between 2.5 and 3hours from when I'm asleep. from the 13L/min up to 100+
I either have no more for the night, or a re-ocurance every 45mins.

I wonder if I'm simply rolling over or if it's my body temp dropping and I'm getting restless?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2015, 06:57 AM)shakes Wrote: Interesting

First big leak is between 2.5 and 3hours from when I'm asleep. from the 13L/min up to 100+

I wonder if I'm simply rolling over or if it's my body temp dropping and I'm getting restless?

That is what I was thinking. You are just rolling over and nudging it loose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 01:57 PM)GingerMan512 Wrote:
(08-09-2015, 06:57 AM)shakes Wrote: Interesting

That is what I was thinking. You are just rolling over and nudging it loose.

Why am I rolling and how do I teach myself not to do it in my sleep?

As mysteriously as it started its stopped... The only thing I can put it down to was it ran through a cold snap and I wasnt warm enough overnight.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to try that mask liner trick too.
I have had pretty good luck with Elmer's & Avery glue sticks to keep the surface tacky.
It's a bit ornery working with those but after few minutes they stick.
There are also Skin-Tac wipes you can get that put down a coating of rosen Those work too but they
are pricey and the stuff gets on your fingers making them sticky.
===>
The whole night is showing up zero leaks!
This is good.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 293 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 170 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.