Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
Humidifier: Remstar attachment
CPAP Pressure: 9 mmHg
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
REMstar Pro with C-Flex shuts off
I just joined the site and have a problem that I'm not sure best how to search for, so I'll just explain and perhaps you can redirect me to a current thread.

I have had my REMstar Pro with C-Flex for probably 4 years now and shortly after leaving Maryland (and having new insurance that won't cover my CPAP) I started experiencing a new problem. Often when I turn the blower on I will just hear a periodic low hum with slight vibration. I feel like the blower fan may be stuck. After about 5 seconds the machine will beep multiple times and shut off. Although it shuts off it will continue to beep until I unplug the machine. If I plug it back in within a few seconds the beeping will start up, if I wait for a minute it will turn on like normal but when starting the blower the same events will repeat.

Although I hate to do this, with sufficient slapping (and I think slapping is a bit mild) the blower will take off and the machine will operate for a few days like normal. Eventually the problem will resurface, and lately it operates for a few days at best before needing some coaxing.

I finally decided that rather than beat the machine into a completely inoperable state I would take it apart and see if the motor or fan was obviously stuck. Again, I don't have great insurance and it would likely be cheaper to buy one on my own (do I need to get a new rx for this if I already had one?) that get it repaired. I removed the housing screws from the back and then realized the knob prevents the lid prom opening. Not wanting to destroy the machine I returned the screws.

So, a few questions.

1) Is this a problem that can be easily remedied, or does it signify the machine is headed for the trash?

2) How do I remove the cover (knob especially) to access the motor?

3) Is there software to read my card data? I pulled the files long ago because my physician at Hopkins wasn't the best data analyst and I wanted to follow my progress. I found the data couldn't be read by any normal program such as excel so I'm wondering if there is a way to pull it so I can track my own CPAP use.

Thanks for any insight!
04-07-2013 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: REMstar Pro with C-Flex shuts off
You can get the free SleepyHead software here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-software.

As far as your machine goes, you'll have to contact someone to have it repaired or replaced. One of us might be better able to advise you about that if we knew your location.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-07-2013 10:28 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi rnyland,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like your machine needs to be repaired.
Supplier number 2 on the supplier list on this board has gently used or open-box machines for great prices and from what I understand, their service is pretty good.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you.

trish6hundred
04-07-2013 11:44 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Is there any kind of error message on the screen?

Respironics uses beeps and error codes to notify of errors. Sometimes just the beep, sometimes just the error code.

If it has a code, check here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=REMstar_error_codes

On the supplier's list are a few repair places. You can try contacting them and see what they say. #27 and 28
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-07-2013 08:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  REMStar SE with DOT Compliance musicman85 11 319 Yesterday 09:08 PM
Last Post: musicman85
  philips remstar auto a-flex skylersdad 2 137 11-29-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 199 11-29-2016 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
Question BiPAP vs EPR/Flex etc? SleepyBee 7 254 11-13-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  [CPAP] Setting up this auto a-flex is really intimidating. SierraMadreMe 6 368 10-27-2016 04:25 AM
Last Post: SierraMadreMe
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 503 10-21-2016 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respironics Flex setting VTSleeper 12 5,551 10-17-2016 02:49 AM
Last Post: Dreams of Green