Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

REMstar System One - not sure which model
Question 
REMstar System One - not sure which model
Hi guys,

I'm a new user to this forum and website but I'm glad there is what appears to be a solid source of information for CPAP-related information.

My wife actually uses the CPAP machine although I have untreated sleep apnea (or at least did some years ago). She has severe social anxiety so it pretty much a shut-in. This precludes her going to the neurologist to get her machine adjusted but she's pretty sure that the pressure isn't right. I've looked at a few videos about how to do this and show her how to do it as well and I figured out how to do it.

However, I'm not sure exactly what model she has and the info on the main pages doesn't help in finding out. I don't know if I have to know the model at this stage except that one of the videos I saw showed a minimum and maximum pressure and it was suggested to leave the maximum alone and just adjust the minimum up in increments. The model she has doesn't show minimum or maximum, just pressure. Does it matter?

It's a Philips Respironics REMstar SYSTEM ONE (doesn't say anything else on the top or sides of the model). Underneath it is identified as 'REMstar Heated Humid, INTL' and the REF# is 1056216.

Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: REMstar System One - not sure which model
You might be able to identify your wife's Cpap from this picture page.  Also, look on the bottom of the machine to check for identifying model numbers.  

https://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-...espironics

If you find the correct name and model of your machine, order a Clinicians Manual.  This will guide you in how to change the pressure.

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look for the model number which will be something like DS561xx, DS451xx or DS261xx In all System 1 machines the 5 is auto CPAP, 4 is fixed pressure CPAP and 2 is also fixed pressure with no data. The next two numbers 50 or 60 notes the series with 60 being newer. Machines in Canada usually end in 1, while U.S. machine are 0. The xx denotes the humidifier option included.

The easiest way to help you is for you to download OSCAR from the link at the top of this page. This is a free software program that will report your machine type, all your machine settings and therapy results and much more. We can quickly advise on settings. There is a SD card slot at the top center of the machine, and if there is a card in there, it is recording data on use and possibly therapy. If the machine does not have a SD card any standard card from 8 to 32 GB formatted to FAT 32 will work.

Most provincial suppliers provide low-end CPAP machines with fixed pressure, so it's possible your machine does not provide good data. Also, the System One CPAPs are at least a generation old and are a discontinued model. My sincere recommendation is that if that is the case, you take a look at our Supplier List and look for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her. That machine is covered as CPAP under your Provincial reimbursement policy. Hopefully one of our Canadian members will have a specific suggestion where lower costs are possible.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are in Ontario. You health system says the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her is a CPAP (they are wrong, but that is good for you, it is an APAP and IMHO the best) This means that thru your health system, OHS, You can purchase this for considerably than the regular AutoSet which is the same MSRP as the 'For Her'.

Ontario has a rule that you MUST start with a CPAP, I disagree with it but I'm only a Yank with a bunch of Canadian relatives I canno go and visit, Any way, because of the above mis-classification you can get a pretty good deal in Ontario Canada.

We do definitely prefer the ResMed because (mostly) of its implementation of EPR which allows generally better treatment of an individuals apnea. That said we do work the the PR machine and have seen some excellent results and we will help you to make your therapy the best it can be.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2020, 07:30 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You might be able to identify your wife's Cpap from this picture page.  Also, look on the bottom of the machine to check for identifying model numbers.  

If you find the correct name and model of your machine, order a Clinicians Manual.  This will guide you in how to change the pressure.

Hi OpalRose,

Thanks for your suggestions.

The only number on the bottom that appears above the S/N is the Ref# referred to above. I was looking at the pictures but there are many models that look like the one she has. It's a grey-boxy looking one with the display on the top with a control knob and a ramp button below it. The models mentioned don't have the # that it suggests tells you the type of model. I have figured out already how to adjust the pressure by pressing the knob with the ramp button together until it beeps and then turning it to the Setting.

It was set at 13.0 and I was going to put it just up to 13.5 to see how she gets along with it but she wanted to move it up by 1 so we did that and she is going to try it for a few weeks as suggested. But I'm curious if we even need the model# since we know how to adjust it now. Or will that tell us why it only lists one pressure instead of a minimum and maximum?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2020, 07:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Look for the model number which will be something like DS561xx, DS451xx or DS261xx  In all System 1 machines the 5 is auto CPAP, 4 is fixed pressure CPAP and 2 is also fixed pressure with no data.  The next two numbers 50 or 60 notes the series with 60 being newer.  Machines in Canada usually end in 1, while U.S. machine are 0.  The xx denotes the humidifier option included.

The easiest way to help you is for you to download OSCAR from the link at the top of this page. This is a free software program that will report your machine type, all your machine settings and therapy results and much more.  We can quickly advise on settings.  There is a SD card slot at the top center of the machine, and if there is a card in there, it is recording data on use and possibly therapy.  If the machine does not have a SD card any standard card from 8 to 32 GB formatted to FAT 32 will work.

Most provincial suppliers provide low-end CPAP machines with fixed pressure, so it's possible your machine does not provide good data. Also, the System One CPAPs are at least a generation old and are a discontinued model.  My sincere recommendation is that if that is the case, you take a look at our Supplier List and look for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her.  That machine is covered as CPAP under your Provincial reimbursement policy. Hopefully one of our Canadian members will have a specific suggestion where lower costs are possible.

Hi Sleeprider,

Thanks for the information.

The place where the model number would normally appear has the number '1056216'. There are a couple of other models listed in the link that RoseOpal first mentioned but not that number. There isn't anything that begins with DS on the bottom.

I'll get OSCAR as you suggest. It has an SD card in it so it'll be interesting to see what other information it has. It doesn't appear to be a model that will adjust pressure automatically but I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly.

Her original model actually died. The store that ordered and set up her original machine was willing to re-program my machine for her. That was because for her to get a new machine would require her to get a new prescription. I think it was also required for coverage too, although I might not be remembering correctly. It was at least 10 years ago. So I actually gave her my machine which I wasn't really using all that much so she could avoid seeing her neurologist who really just sees you for 5 minutes and moves on. 

Going out, even just outside, is tremendously difficult for her. Even pre-pandemic, it would take 3-6 months or more to see him as we only have one in the city we're in. I can't imagine if he's even doing consults now but perhaps he is doing them over the phone with the pandemic. That would be better for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2020, 10:56 AM)bonjour Wrote: You are in Ontario. You health system says the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her is a CPAP (they are wrong, but that is good for you, it is an APAP and IMHO the best)  This means that thru your health system, OHS, You can purchase this for considerably than the regular AutoSet which is the same MSRP as the 'For Her'.

Ontario has a rule that you MUST start with a CPAP, I disagree with it but I'm only a Yank with a bunch of Canadian relatives I canno go and visit, Any way, because of the above mis-classification you can get a pretty good deal in Ontario Canada.

We do definitely prefer the ResMed because (mostly) of its implementation of EPR which allows generally better treatment of an individuals apnea.  That said we do work the the PR machine and have seen some excellent results and we will help you to make your therapy the best it can be.

Thank you, bonjour. She receives ODSP and I thought that or CPP were the only programs that would cover the price of a CPAP. Are you saying that OHIP will subsidize part of the cost of a new machine?

What is the PR machine? Are you saying that's what she has?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2020, 03:53 AM)redfive71 Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 07:30 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You might be able to identify your wife's Cpap from this picture page.  Also, look on the bottom of the machine to check for identifying model numbers.  

Hi OpalRose,

Thanks for your suggestions.

The only number on the bottom that appears above the S/N is the Ref# referred to above. I was looking at the pictures but there are many models that look like the one she has. It's a grey-boxy looking one with the display on the top with a control knob and a ramp button below it. The models mentioned don't have the # that it suggests tells you the type of model. I have figured out already how to adjust the pressure by pressing the knob with the ramp button together until it beeps and then turning it to the Setting.

It was set at 13.0 and I was going to put it just up to 13.5 to see how she gets along with it but she wanted to move it up by 1 so we did that and she is going to try it for a few weeks as suggested. But I'm curious if we even need the model# since we know how to adjust it now. Or will that tell us why it only lists one pressure instead of a minimum and maximum?

The number 1056216 is for the 50 Series Humidifier.  You more than likely have a System One 50 Series Cpap.  Since you have figured out how to enter into the provider menu, and only see one pressure setting, then we can assume this is not an Auto Adjusting machine with a minimum and maximum pressure, but just a straight pressure Cpap. (One pressure).

https://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-...espironics
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,225 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,791 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 382 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 3 6,169 12-12-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.