Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA
RERA
Does anybody know why sleepyhead doesn't count RERA in AHI report
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA
The machines that flag RERA events do not count it in AHI because it is not part of that index. If you want to take the RERA index and add it to AHI you would then have RDI. Your choice. I always felt RERA was equally disruptive of good sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the only thing my wife gets so I did some reading on them. They can cause problems for sleep and waking that is why I am surprised they are not counted.

Her numbers are close to 0 and sometimes she gets the happy face but still tired. So we are watching her Rera.

I
Post Reply Post Reply
I may be alone in this, but I don't think the RERA reported by machines is a good indicator of actual RERA. From what I've seen it tracks flow limitations and when it detects improvement in the flow it will count it at that point as a RERA event. I guess they figure if the flow improved it must be because you were aroused. In a sleep lab they have EEG which shows brain activity that signals an arousal.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think this is hijacking this thread since I have similar questions as the OP. My AHI is completely under control--I have had 8 O.00 AHI figures since 13 Jan 2017 and 12 more nights with only one apnea event that spoiled a zero night. However my RERA rate has not gone done with the minor pressure tweaks that have gotten me to this place. What pressure, min or max, changes might help? I'm currently at 11.5 - 13.5. My RERA figures have ranged from 10 to 22 on zero AHI nights. I've used the current pressures for about 6 weeks--was on 11 - 13 for a long time. The small changes, one at a time to each level, did a lot of good lowering my already pretty good AHI to it's current level--30 day AHI 0.22.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since changing to the Resmed S9 BiLevel RERAs no longer appear as the machine doesn't measure them. I'm wondering if that might not be a good thing. With the Respironics BiPAP I was able to tweak the pressures to get my RERAs down what is considered a good level. Now I have no yardstick. Any ideas for this would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ability of the CPAPs to actually record RERA events is limited. They seem to track flow limitation and record a RERA when respiratory volume increases following a period if diminishing volume or flow limit. That may or may not be an arousal or RERA, but it is a reasonable approximation of what is done in PSG, except an arousal is actually measured by the EEG.

For those with bilevel, RERA is less likely due to pressure support. I actually rarely see RERA events on a Resmed Autoset when the user has enabled EPR because that is so similar to pressure support. For people prone to flow limitation, RERA, excessive hypopnea, the Philips Respironics Flex in their auto CPAP seems much less effective than bilevel pressure or using and Autoset with EPR...JMHO
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 232 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 749 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,361 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 610 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Persistent OA, Hypoapneas and RERA events despite Pressure Increase chewielotuses 7 1,057 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  High mask pressure causing RERA? webweaver 2 1,118 12-15-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Arrow AHI < 1.0 now, but still tired? Is it UARS, RERA, arousals or FL in your FR peaks? 2SleepBetta 57 12,839 11-09-2022, 02:28 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.