Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA .6 or so, Respiration 35-50?
RERA .6 or so, Respiration 35-50?
Been a hosehead for over 20 years with little relief. My RERA is consistently .6 or so. Most events are Hypopneas with some OA and CA. AHI stays around 3-5 with a random 1-2 and random over 5. Respiration rates are not believable - 35-50 about 1/2 of each night. Leaks are always under 3 with no LL. OSCAR reports leaks at 0-.2. Mirage Quattro masks for many years and a Papillow too. S10 auto. Can someone tell me what is going on and what to do to fix it please?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA .6 or so, Respiration 35-50?
Hi CROWMAN,
Welcome to Apnea Board!
I suspect you need a pressure adjustment, but really no way to advise without seeing a chart.
And yes, those respiration numbers seem high.

Are you able to post a screenshot of your daily page from OSCAR?
The tutorials for doing so are below in my signature line.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

Post some charts.
See the organization link in my signature,

Post a full night plus some zoomed in 2 minute views during your 'rapid breathing. This will let us see what is going on.

You mentioned RERAs which also means you have a lot of flow limitations happening as well. The flow Limitations chart is included in the organization I asked for.

I'll suggest you address your flow limits, hypopneas, and RERAs by setting your EPR to ON full-time and EPR=3. Also increase your min pressure by the same amount as your increase in EPR.

That should help some.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=12610][attachment=12610]Here are two screen shots. First time I have done this.

Another screen shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
2 minute view.
Post Reply Post Reply
A retry if you please,

There are the base graphs,  Flow Rate was why I want to see the 2 min close up
Events
Flow Rate
Pressure (not Mask Pressure)
Flow Limits
Leaks
Snore

I do see a tendency for positional Apnea, (Obstructive Apneas are clustered together)
You have RERAs which implies that you also have flow limits.

Your 2 min view was an hour.  You can't see the detail of the Flow Rate at that level
For the 2 min view show
Flow Rate
Resp rate
Insp Time
Exp time
minute vent
tidal volume
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep study showed I get centrals above 15. That is why I set 15 as my max pressure. Only tried pressure relief once and it turned out to be a bad night for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your current min is 11.8.  I would like you to try min 13.8 and EPR Full Time with EPR=2, possibly going to min 14.8 and EPR=3
These keep your EPAP or exhale pressure at your current pressure and maintain the current therapeutic pressure for OSA.  The inhale pressure will start at 13.8 with your exhale pressure at 11.8.  That should be comfortable for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back.

The closeup.  This is periodic breathing, it is not CSR.  These breaths all exhibit flow limitation.  Your breathing tapers off then you have an event, these were classified as Hypopneas, then a recovery breath and repeat.  The flow limitations are so persistent that I doubt the machine can correctly identify them.  Ending with a Recovery breath or arousal.  The definition of RERA.

See where your Respiration rate graph increases?  Look at the flow rate chart and see how in 1 breath you see it crossing the zero line several times, your machine is counting each of those as a breath incorrectly.  Your respiration rate is 20 thru this period and fairly steady at this rate.

With that much periodic breathing, I would monitor oxygen levels overnight for a few nights.

Regarding the EPR, I'd rather see you using a BiLevel (ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto) where we can work with pressure support greater than 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks much. I have a busy weekend so I don't want to make the recommended changes until Sunday night. I WILL make the 13.8/EPR=2 FT change that night and see what happens in OSCAR on Monday morning. Thanks so much for taking your time to try and sort this out. Could my breathing pattern be why I stay tired most of the day? By the way, I have an old Respironics SV machine that still works fine. Have not used it for several years and have not checked to see if I can use it with OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 94 Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 175 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 820 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 292 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 11 501 02-08-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 463 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 703 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.