Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA Data
RERA Data
As a newb on here I am still trying to get my head around some of the terms associated with sleep apnea.
How critical is it to have rera data?
I have hired a Airsense A10 for my first month after being diagnosed. From the technical specs the Airsense A10 does not report rera data but Airsense A10 for her does. Yet when I download the data from my machine Sleepyhead does show rera data.
Where does sleepyhead get this data from seeing as my machine does not report it?
How important is it to have this data?

Chip
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA Data
When the A10 was first announced I read that RERA data was available on both machines (the "hers" and the "not hers") Then the comparison chart came out and it said RERA was not available on the S10 (not hers). I also was told the difference in the two machines was that the "For Her" responded quicker to raising the pressure at the beginning of an event. Something about after the first missed breath, not the third as is done on the other machines. All of that makes sense to me especially in light of your finding RERA data on your machine. My opinion is the chart is wrong.

Now, as to how important that data is? It's just one more tool in our arsenal. Respiratory Effort Related Arousal (RERA) can be defined as: "Sometimes the throat narrows enough to cause loud snoring and hard breathing, but not enough to produce apneas or hypopneas. Breathing in this situation can be difficult enough to wake the sleeper, an occurrance referred to as a respiratory effort related arousal (RERA). Most people with OSA have some combination of loud snoring, RERAs, hypopneas, and apneas when they sleep, so the term OSA is commonly used to encompass all of these phenomena."

This is a lessor indicator but may be of some significance if you are actually losing sleep because of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long does it generally take before I start feeling better and not so tired???
I went in for an initial follow up after my diagnosis and they told me the pressure they had set was 14, i felt like running a marathon for about 4 days.
But they lost the data and doctor said I needed to go back again.
The second time my pressure was set to 9.5, but i never felt as good as i did the first time. Im waiting to go back to doctor to get results.

Chip
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm curious to know your pressure setting because it may be related to the success of your therapy. Your profile indicates an autoset pressure range of 6 -20 but your post indicates you are using straight CPAP settings of first 14, then 9.5. In my opinion, your sleep doc (or you) should set up an autoset range so the device can provide the pressure/s appropriate to your need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chiphead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The next time you see your sleep doc, you might want to mention that you felt better at the higher pressure.
Hang in there for moreresponses to your post.
Best of luck to you as you continue and fine tune your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to have, but probably not a big deal for most people. There's some skepticism about how accurate the RERA detection is from a CPAP machine anyway.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2014, 06:30 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: I'm curious to know your pressure setting because it may be related to the success of your therapy. Your profile indicates an autoset pressure range of 6 -20 but your post indicates you are using straight CPAP settings of first 14, then 9.5. In my opinion, your sleep doc (or you) should set up an autoset range so the device can provide the pressure/s appropriate to your need.

Like JimZZZ, I also suggest you would learn more by being on a range during the trial, not on a set pressure.

Our pressure needs change hourly and nightly and weekly and monthly and seasonally and yearly.

You are paying for this, so I suggest you might want to consider asking that the machine be placed back in in AutoSet mode with a higher Max Pressure setting, to allow the machine to raise the pressure higher when it senses you need higher pressure.

Unless you felt any problems (aerophagia, lung or breathing muscle problems, hearing/balance problems or eye problems) from the high pressure?

Generally the machine does not go higher in pressure than needed; however, if it seemed to raise the pressure too aggressively, I suggest changing to the AutoSet For Her model for the rest of the trial and trying the AutoSet For Her therapy mode. The A10 AutoSet For Her (when in AutoSet For Her mode) raises the pressure less aggressively.

If I were to get an APAP machine, I would get the A10 AutoSet For Her model, even though I am a guy. Makes sense to me that it would be a good thing to have more therapy options. The A10 AutoSet For Her has the regular CPAP (fixed pressure) therapy mode as an option, plus the regular A10 AutoSet therapy mode as an option, plus the A10 AutoSet For Her therapy mode as an option. Three machines in one.

Everything below is from the A10 AutoSet clinician set-up manual:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The AutoSet for Her is similar to ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm with the following modifications:

 Reduced rate of pressure increments designed to help prevent arousals.

 Slower pressure decays.

 Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cm H2O.

 Minimum pressure (Min. Pressure) that adjusts according to the frequency of apneas:
If two apneas occur within a minute, the pressure reached in response to the second apnea will become the new minimum treatment pressure until the next treatment session.

Respiratory effort related arousals reporting:

Respiratory Effort Related Arousals (RERA) reporting is available on the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her in all modes.

RERAs are periods of increasing respiratory effort which are terminated by an arousal. Increasing respiratory effort will be seen as airflow limitation.These flow-based RERA events are logged and stored as summary and/or detailed data and can then be viewed in one of ResMed's patient management systems.

Detailed Data:
Apnea or hypopnea events
CSR
RERA (AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her only)
Flow limitation (flat to round)
Leak (L/sec)
Minute ventilation (L/min)
Pressure (cm H2O / hPa)
Snore (quiet to loud)
Pulse rate (beats/min)—if an oximeter adapter is attached
Oxygen saturation (SpO2)—if an oximeter adapter is attached

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Video 
(10-19-2014, 01:08 AM)chiphead Wrote: Where does sleepyhead get this data from seeing as my machine does not report it?

Chip
SleepyHead do not report anything that is not on the card in the first place
RERAs, CSR and detailed data not displayed on the machine sleep report but stored on the card

I don't think it is that important, unless reported in large numbers
Whats important is that you sleep and feel better while on PAP ... the proof of the pudding is in the eating

PR System One Auto and Pro machines also report RERAs among other things well before ResMed
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 02:28 AM)zonk Wrote:
(10-19-2014, 01:08 AM)chiphead Wrote: Where does sleepyhead get this data from seeing as my machine does not report it?

Chip
SleepyHead do not report anything that is not on the card in the first place
RERAs, CSR and detailed data not displayed on the machine sleep report but stored on the card.

Hi Zonk,

Does/did your A10 AutoSet report RERA events in SleepyHead but not in ResScan?

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 02:54 AM)vsheline Wrote: Hi Zonk,

Does/did your A10 AutoSet report RERA events in SleepyHead but not in ResScan?
Mine is an AutoSet (not AutoSet 4Her) does not report RERAs
I only use ResScan with A10, statistics shows % of time in CSR
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 174 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 703 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,236 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 578 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation xaid 2 772 07-09-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Persistent OA, Hypoapneas and RERA events despite Pressure Increase chewielotuses 7 1,022 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  High mask pressure causing RERA? webweaver 2 1,068 12-15-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.