Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA Problem
RE: RERA Problem
Thanks to all the responded. I learned some things and am going to make some changes gradually. Last night was lower RERAs--71--but OA (7) and Hypop (16) soared. The only hing that changed this week was the C-flex setting and the fact I shut it off one night. Going back to the A-Flex 1 that I have been on for a long time for a few nights, then will start some slight pressure changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I was back to an AHI of 0.89 with RERA at 23. Can't believe just changing from C-Flex back to A-Flex did it, but that change a few days ago was when things went south. Will stay put with settings for awhile and see what happens. Again, thanks for the suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
So if I read this right AFlex lowered your RERAs compared to CFlex or have I got it back to front?
Post Reply Post Reply
My RERAs and AHI figures went back down when I went from C-Flex to A-Flex. I had 3 bad nights--the first when I shut off the Flex and the next two when I inadvertantly turned on C-Flex 1 instead of A-Flex 1 which I had been using for a long time. Apparently my machine defaulted to C after I shut it off. The last two nightsd, on A-Flex 1, have been back to more "normal" AHI 0.87 and 0.82 with RERAs at 23 and 39. I haven't touched any other settings and won't for awhile if my AHI stays around 1. I don't know enough about the flex settings to know if that is what did it or it was just coincidence.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't say for certain that changing Flex settings affect RERAs, but it seems to have made a difference for you. As long as you are sleeping well, sometimes it's hard to get the RERAs down without raising the minimum pressure.

Probably best if you just watch for awhile before making pressure changes. Your numbers are good.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is what I am going to do, OpalRose. Before that 3 day bad session I had a 30 day AHI average of 0.8. I'm going to see if numbers stbilize again before playing with the pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
While your AHI is very good RDI (which includes RERAs in the calculation) is obviously not as good. In the end, it really depends on how you feel. That is a huge part of all of this number chasing. For me, RERAs were just as disruptive to my sleep as apneas. When RERAs were decreased to 0 I felt better even if my AHI was above 1. If you are feeling great then don't change a thing. If you aren't then finding a way to decrease RERAs could be a solution to feeling better and for that would try raising min pressure as suggested earlier.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the reduction of RERA increased AHI by increasing CA. Basically, setting pressure higher than required for OSA alone and using bilevel. The CA eventually went away too but that was my experience. To be honest, machines did not detect or report RERA until about 2012, so who knows, maybe we're happier when we just don't know.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both sonicboom and Sleeprider made good points. I have problems with CAs also and that is one reason I haven't fiddled with pressure much. They haven't been much of a problem recently. The only difference I feel when I have a higher RERA figure is some sleepiness in the late afternoon/evening, much as I had before my SA diagnosis. Using the PAP has almost eliminated the sleepy sessions during meetings, driving, etc. I got my events in a notebook every day so it is easy to see what goes on day to day. I'm going to add notes on sleepiness when the Rera goes up. I figured the 147 figure would wipe me out a few days ago, but it didn't. Thanks, guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was using the S9 which had no RERA reporting my CAs were a lot higher and I wonder if some of these are what are now being reported as RERAs.

The machine doesn't seem to respond to RERAs in any way at all yet some of these events lasted for close to a minute. I had 17 overall during the night giving me an RERA reading of 2.05. The rest of my numbers suggest that what I have dialled in is very close to what I need. My 90% was 11.5 which is only 1 above my minimum setting of 10.5. I might change from AFlex to CFlex just to see what happens. I don't really care if CAs go up as most of mine in the past were SWJ.

I'm determined to beat these RERAs. I am thinking that if I can then I go to a whole new level of good sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 183 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,475 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.