Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA [help understanding them]
RERA [help understanding them]
Hi everyone. Newbie here. I started CPAP therapy on August 31. I still wake often and still feel exhausted and need naps. I see the prescribing doctor this Tuesday, but I am wondering about RERAs and should I be concerned. They show in my sleepyhead data more often than not and always with a (0) beside them. Last night was the highest number I've seen of them on the data, 29 RERAs. I still am having some hypopneas and osa as well. I have a Resmed Elite with a fixed pressure of 7. I have used a nasal mask, but have been mostly using nasal pillows with a chin strap. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA
RERA's your getting are directly linked to flow limitations your getting. Try increasing your EPR to 3cm and increasing your pressure to 9cm. That should help reduce the flow limitations and also the RERA's.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply. From my understanding, I am unable to change settings on my machine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2018, 12:32 PM)Shel Wrote: Thank you for the reply. From my understanding, I am unable to change settings on my machine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shel,
Here is a link to order the Clinicians Manual for your machine.  
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Are you worried about meeting compliance or upsetting your doctor?  Insurance only cares that you are using your machine 4 hours a night.

Your doctor may get upset, but if it helps your therapy, it should not be an issue.

I agree with Walla Walla’s recommendation of upping the pressure along with the EPR.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are just starting therapy, why on earth were you sold an S9?

See if you can get that thing updated to the A10 Autoset.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not worried about either, I just was under the impression that my machine is a set fixed type (I hope my meaning comes off correctly because I really am very new to all this) and I would have no way to change any of those settings manually. I will look over the link and see if I can figure out how to do this. Thank you very much for replying and offering an old lady some advice Smile

(09-22-2018, 12:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you are just starting therapy, why on earth were you sold an S9?

See if you can get that thing updated to the A10 Autoset.

I have an Resmed Airsense 10 Elite. It is what the prescribing doctor ordered. I did talk to someone from the DME last week about my concerns and she said from my data, the therapy is working the way it should and if I wanted an autoset machine, the prescribing doctor would have to order it or my insurance wouldn't cover it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA [help understanding them]
Even though you are on a fixed pressure machine, you can still change that pressure anywhere from 4cm min up to 20cm max.  Whatever you set it to is where it will stay all night.

What you can’t do is set a pressure range. Say like a minimum pressure of 7cm and a maximum setting of 15cm, which is what an Auto Cpap can do.  An Auto Cpap would vary the pressure during the night to treat Apnea events as needed, so that you are not always at one pressure.

An Auto Cpap can also be set to Cpap mode which is a straight pressure.  This is why we recommend the Auto machine over the Cpap.

There is nothing wrong with the machine you have, but it wouldn’t hurt to talk to your doctor and have the prescription revised to say AirSense 10 AutoSet. You can set this to either Auto mode or Cpap mode to appease your doctor. Rolleyes
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2018, 01:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Even though you are on a fixed pressure machine, you can still change that pressure anywhere from 4cm min up to 20cm max.  Whatever you set it to is where it will stay all night.

What you can’t do is set a pressure range. Say like a minimum pressure of 7cm and a maximum setting of 15cm, which is what an Auto Cpap can do.  An Auto Cpap would vary the pressure during the night to treat Apnea events as needed, so that you are not always at one pressure.

An Auto Cpap can also be set to Cpap mode which is a straight pressure.  This is why we recommend the Auto machine over the Cpap.

There is nothing wrong with the machine you have, but it wouldn’t hurt to talk to your doctor and have the prescription revised to say AirSense 10 AutoSet.  You can set this to either Auto mode or Cpap mode to appease your doctor.  Rolleyes

That is my plan to ask him about the autoset when I see him Tuesday. I wasn't supposed to see him until December, but I'm still staying so exhausted and waking so many times that I didn't want to wait until December. I also read the link you provided and I tested on my machine and was able to get in to the area to change settings. I am gonna try the settings recommended here tonight though when I told my fiance, he frowned really hard, lol. Thank you again very much for helping me. I just want some restful sleep. I've done the waking up multiple times during the night for well over 10 years and I had unrealistic hopes that the CPAP would've been a miracle cure, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2018, 01:20 PM)Shel Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 01:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Even though you are on a fixed pressure machine, you can still change that pressure anywhere from 4cm min up to 20cm max.  Whatever you set it to is where it will stay all night.

There is nothing wrong with the machine you have, but it wouldn’t hurt to talk to your doctor and have the prescription revised to say AirSense 10 AutoSet.  You can set this to either Auto mode or Cpap mode to appease your doctor.  Rolleyes

That is my plan to ask him about the autoset when I see him Tuesday. I wasn't supposed to see him until December, but I'm still staying so exhausted and waking so many times that I didn't want to wait until December. I also read the link you provided and I tested on my machine and was able to get in to the area to change settings. I am gonna try the settings recommended here tonight though when I told my fiance, he frowned really hard, lol. Thank you again very much for helping me. I just want some restful sleep. I've done the waking up multiple times during the night for well over 10 years and I had unrealistic hopes that the CPAP would've been a miracle cure, lol.

Don’t forget to set the EPR to 2 or 3. It will make a big difference in your comfort level when exhaling.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2018, 01:25 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 01:20 PM)Shel Wrote:

Don’t forget to set the EPR to 2 or 3.  It will make a big difference in your comfort level when exhaling.

I will. Also, one last question about the RERAs that show on sleepyhead. What is the (0) beside them? It is beside every RERA showed on any night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,573 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 182 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 815 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 363 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett
  Understanding Sleep Study Centennial2 17 823 12-22-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [Diagnosis] Help Understanding Sleep Study and Titration Test DGJ1014 9 583 12-22-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.