Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Breathing Events Affect Sleep Onset
Breathing Events Affect Sleep Onset
Hello,

I've been struggling to fall asleep at night despite CPAP.  My doctor has played around with the pressure settings, and even tried medications, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.  Each night as I drift off to sleep I'm awakened by a single sudden, very rapid inhalation or exhalation.  It feels almost like a hiccup.  Jolts me right awake.  But the odd thing is that my machine isn't recognizing these as "events".  These breaths don't seem to be a response to an apnea, and they don't occur after a period of not breathing.  I don't know if it's because they're so short in duration or what.  This tends to happen every 10 minutes or so for a couple of hours.  My AHI is usually between 1.5 - 2.0, so it looks like I'm doing great, but I still feel exhausted every day.  I tend to wake up in the early morning hours with the same pattern of these single super jerky breaths.  

Any advice?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Breathing Events Affect Sleep Onset
Do you have SleepyHead on your computer? If so can you post your charts from a night on here? That would help out on trying to figure it out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
What has your doctor done to pressure settings? Are your profile pressure settings still accurate 5-20?

If you would post a chart where these respirations occur, we could perhaps help more. I suspect if your minimum pressure is 5 that a minimum pressure increase would help. If you're using ramp, turn it off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The same thing was happening to me. When I would wake I would feel a little short of breath with it. It would keep happening until I was tired enough to fall asleep. My CPAP was set at a minimum of 6 and could go up to 10 if needed. The doctor increased it to 7 to 10 and it really helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's one example.  I wrote down that it woke me up at 22:53.

My settings used to be min 5, max 20, but I has having trouble feeling like I wasn't getting enough air.  The doc then bummed it up to min 6.5.  But I kept having trouble falling asleep so he walked it up to 8.  Still having the same issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm no expert at reading the Sleepy Head data, still learning.  That being said it looks like you have a lot of leaks, I think my DME told me anything under 24 was ok which I thought was high.  My problem is that with a FFM, when the seal gets broken I wake up with noise or a rush of more air.  I wonder if the rush of air is what is waking you up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, Hojo, this is another area where ResMed and Respironics do things differently. ResMed reports what they think is the un-intentional leak, assuming they know the intentional vent rate of your mask - (they make a pretty good guess). The Respironics machines report the total of leak plus vent rate (the top line in his chart) and SleepyHead subtracts what it thinks is the vent rate (and you can adjust that curve in Preferences).
So his actual leak rate is less than 5 - quite acceptable!

My guess is that he had more than one hyponea just before the area he selected for us, and that those disturbed his sleep enough to wake him. I'd like to see the selection expanded to include them.

Also, I wonder just how well the Dreamstations keep time - I know my ResMed AirSense 10 loses time badly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point about the clock! It wouldn't have to be off by much.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Could you post a screenshot of the selection being a greater span? Include those events that happened just prior?

Check the time as well. Unless you got the time off the machine vs your phone or watch.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Dreamstation with wireless modem.

I've only checked the time once or twice, but it has been accurate to the second. That's probably because the machine gets time updates over the air from the Respironics servers.

(I'm making a leap of faith that the servers are actually operated by Respironics. Perhaps it's a third party.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 37 5 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,345 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,583 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 299 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 197 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 358 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.