Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA question
RERA question
Why does the RERA events show a "zero"?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA question
The number in parentheses next to an event represents duration. OSCAR no longer provides a time for RERA or Hypopnea events because it was determined to be inaccurate. If you upgrade your version of OSCAR to the latest version, it will report the time of the event flag and the (0) is no longer shown.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does this mean that all RERA data is not correct or just the length of each event? for example my RERA events show 1.23 per hour. Is this correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
The number of RERA per hour is probably significantly underestimated due to the high level of persistent flow limitations in your therapy. That is also what drives your pressure to the maximum setting and keeps it there. This level of flow limitation in spite of maximum EPR of 3 suggests considerable upper airway restriction that might benefit from the use of bilevel therapy with more capability for pressure support.

I’m certain your sleep is far from satisfying in spite of low AHI. If you zoom into the flow rate chart I’m sure nearly all the inspiration waves are flat topped or downward sloping. This means you are working hard all the time to flow enough air to satisfy your ventilation needs. This is reflected in your extremely low tidal volume of 220 mL and very low minute vent more typical of a pediatric or small female patient. I think you should consider a recording oximeter to see where you really stand and to build an argument for bilevel. Do you have any conditions like COPS or asthma that might account for this not being in the upper airway?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just saw a pulmonologist. He only looked at my low AHI. He said that my machine was doing its job. He was completely satisfied with my therapy. So how do I build a case for a new machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
First, how do you feel? We tend to focus on a quality outcome rather than counting the beans of AHI. Your pulmonologist didn’t see what we can with OSCAR. Too bad we couldn’t have discussed before your appointment and given the doctor mor to consider.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I generally feel pretty good. That’s why I have discounted the RERA numbers.
More info. I have been having chest pains when I exerted myself. On Thursday I was given a stress test which had to be stopped because of the pain. I was advised to not exert myself before my appointment with the dr in two weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may not be important whether you have RERA and low tidal volume, but it’s in the low side and flow limits are persistently high.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
If you were to pursue a Bi-level, generally pretty good as the description on the how do you feel question probably won't get to first base. Not trying to bash you, but details are going to need to be included. Leave general items behind. Some examples to consider including as applicable are: still not well rested, fatigue easily, waking to headaches, fatigued after lunch or some other specific time, need to take naps to get through the day, even things like X events were increased on OSCAR and I was more tired the day after. I'd put emphasis on items you can see in OSCAR and have symptoms you can specify the day after.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know the data pushes me to a bilevel, but if I don’t get headaches, am not tired and don’t usually take daytime naps, What benefits do I get with a bilevel from where I am now?
Am I missing another reason?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 182 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 706 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,243 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 578 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation xaid 2 772 07-09-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Persistent OA, Hypoapneas and RERA events despite Pressure Increase chewielotuses 7 1,025 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  High mask pressure causing RERA? webweaver 2 1,071 12-15-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.