Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA's and CPAP Pressure Please Help
RERA's and CPAP Pressure Please Help
I am one of those guys with a fairly low AHI of 8, but my RERA's are 15.
Unfortunately neither an oximeter or the cpap can calculate RERA's.

My question is this:
As you increase pressure of the CPAP.  Are the RERA's the first to go, followed by the Hypopneas?  I would assume less pressure needed since less blockage.
I can drop my AHI down to 4 with a pressure of only 5 and feel great the next day.  However, other than feeling good, I am just assuming it knocked down the RERA's also.

Please advise.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA's and CPAP Pressure Please Help
Are you using an Airsense 10 AutoSet set with a range of 5-20, or CPAP mode of 5? Or are you using a Airsense 10 CPAP with a straight pressure? Please clarify.
The newer AutoSets show Rera's.

An AHI of 8 isn't really low. AHI of 8 added to Rera's of 15 = RDI 23

Assuming is not the way.  Download #SleepyHead software.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airsense 10 does "claim" to show RERAs, but I highly doubt their ability since it cannot detect arousals.  When I wore an oximeter and compared events, the Airsense 10 RERA's were just hypopneas.

The APAP was set for 5-20.  However, this did nothing but continually spike pressures of 14-15 which woke me up, gave me gas, and prevented me from sleeping.  So I manually limited the machine to max 5 as an experiment.  Got the lowest AHI yet!  Got a great night sleep!  Felt great today!

It dropped my AHI down to 4 (as measured by my oximeter, the APAP thinks it is 2 with 2 RERAs).  So I am assuming that it must have helped my RERAS, but I have no way of knowing, so thus my question.  Does the low pressure knock out the RERA first.

Yes I have sleepyhead software.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never seen lower pressures knock out Rera's, but no way of really knowing. The only way to tell for sure is by looking at the data in #SleepyHead, and watching for a trend.

I'm not an advocate for a wide open pressure like 5-20. The Apap will go only as high as needed, but it will also drive pressure upwards in response to
Flow Limitations and Snores.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It also drives pressures up when you are awake.  The pressure spike wakes me up.  It then senses different breathing pattern because I am awake and stays ramped up.  I have to shut it off and turn it on again with ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
fitmark,
Can you post your data via sleepyhead? It would make it easier to see what's going on. High pressure alone shouldn't cause RERA's but the change in pressures that are waking you up could. The CPAP can see the changes in flow rates when you wake up and may think these are RERA's. You made need a steady pressure or narrow pressure to avoid being woke up. Again Sleepyhead is the best way to find out what pressure you need to be at.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I finally just set the pressure at a constant of 5.  AHI on sleepyhead varies from 2-6.  However, I also use an oximeter which I believe is more accurate which gives me a constant AHI of 4.  With the aid of a sleeping aid I am sleeping through the night and feeling refreshed in the morning.  So, I can only assume that the RERA's are mostly being taken care of.  (I don't trust RERA's that sleepy head reports.  they usually just show up as hypopneas on my oximeter report)

Thanks for your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 215 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 266 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 426 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 174 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 560 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.