Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA's are they all that important?
RERA's are they all that important?
So I'm typically getting some good AHI numbers on my machine, under 1.0. However, ever since I started using OSCAR, I've seen that I get a lot of RERA per night. As I understand it, RERAs are some sort of micro-awakenings during the night. If it's a micro-awakening, does it really count as an event that affects your sleep? It doesn't seem to get counted in the AHI numbers.

Also what would cause a RERA? Could changing your sleep position at night count as a RERA?

Machine is a Philips Dreamstation. Yes, I know about the recall.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA's are they all that important?
I'm sure you'll get some better, more detailed answers. I'll just say that like apnea, a few are acceptable. the significance of rera for you lies mostly in how you feel. if not up to par, then they may be significant, and vice versa. but think about it. these are 'arousals', precisely the opposite of what we're all trying to achieve - restful uninterrupted sleep.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
RERAS are mini arousals, which can affect sleep.  See the Wiki article below:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respirat...ance_index

"RERAs are arousals from sleep that do not technically meet the definitions of apneas or hypopneas, but do disrupt sleep and cause symptoms."
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, yes they are supposedly arousals, but the second thing I noticed is that I don't notice them! According to some of the reports, I could have had up to 20 of them per night or even more, but the number of times I've actually gotten up is much less, and usually I wake up only 2 or 3 times a night. And getting up is only due to having to go to the bathroom. Could these RERA's be false positives? Or are RERA's just a pattern of breathing that might possibly lead to arousal, but may not either? That is, an indicator to an arousal, but not necessarily the arousal itself?

My machine's own software, Dreammapper, never tracks RERA's, I've only noticed it ever since using OSCAR. Could it be that the manufacturer (Philips) doesn't trust its own RERA readings and doesn't bother reporting it because it's not accurate?
Post Reply Post Reply
Go by how you feel in the morning. If you don't notice RERAs, then don't worry about it.

As far as being "real" or not, I don't know. Post a daily chart from OSCAR for advice. DreamMapper isn't going to give you much information.

Just to clarify, OSCAR only reports what your DreamStation writes to the SD card.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dreammapper is not a clinical quality software, but a patient directed software to encourage compliance. Take a look at Oscar around the RERA events. Do you see a flattened inspiratory wave? That is inspiratory flow limitation and practically a prerequisite of RERA. If RERA does not bother you, how do you feel since starting therapy? Are you statisfied with your sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends. As far as being real, yes they are. Frequently they arouse you enough to change your sleep state, but not wake you up. We don't like them showing up simply because they disrupt your sleep.
Treatment is the same as treating flow limits.
Bottom line is if they are not bothering you ignore them.
Post Reply Post Reply
"the second thing I noticed is that I don't notice them!"

I'm not aware of my residual apnea & hypopnea events. I'm not aware of my all too frequent flow limitations & occasional palatal prolapse. I'm not aware of my periodic limb movements and most of my leaks. yet individually & collectively these things seriously screw up my sleep.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2021, 08:03 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Dreammapper is not a clinical quality software, but a patient directed software to encourage compliance.  Take a look at Oscar around the RERA events. Do you see a flattened inspiratory wave?  That is inspiratory flow limitation and practically a prerequisite of RERA.  If RERA does not bother you, how do you feel since starting therapy? Are you statisfied with your sleep.

No, no differences in flow that I noticed. The only thing that I see is different is a graph called "Time at Pressure", which has a bit of a peak, only at that time.

(07-31-2021, 11:39 AM)sheepless Wrote: "the second thing I noticed is that I don't notice them!"

I'm not aware of my residual apnea & hypopnea events. I'm not aware of my all too frequent flow limitations & occasional palatal prolapse. I'm not aware of my periodic limb movements and most of my leaks. yet individually & collectively these things seriously screw up my sleep.

Yes, but shouldn't you be aware of those times you woke up? The apneas and hypopneas don't wake you up, usually.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you know how to zoom in on the respiration rate (see the Organizing your Oscar Charts in my signature), you will see the problem. If not, and you don't care, then I'm fine with that too.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,242 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 182 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 153 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 442 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 706 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,243 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 578 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.