Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERA's are they all that important?
RE: RERA's are they all that important?
"Yes, but shouldn't you be aware of those times you woke up? The apneas and hypopneas don't wake you up, usually."

the only one in my list that I'm aware of when it fully wakes me is a leak.

the point is that all these i listed, including arousals, micro arousals, disturbances of any kind, can leave us unrested, even if completely unaware of them.

again, ignore the rera if you feel sufficiently rested.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a fitbit which seems to show sleep stages. Everything that the fitbit flags as an arousal has a particular "look" in the OSCAR flow rate graph. (You've got to keep the clock on your cpap very close to the real time to be able to line up a watch/activity tracker with OSCAR). What I see in my fitbit is that these brief arousals -- especially the 30-90 second ones that I am totally unaware of -- will send me crashing out of deep or rem sleep. I often return to rem sleep after a RERA, but almost never go back into deep sleep. So a RERA after 5 minutes of deep sleep may mean I get just 5 minutes of deep sleep for the whole night.

Which is really brutal.

The whole point about sleep apnea is that it's something that goes on when you are unconscious. So, yeah, you don't expect to be aware of it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2021, 04:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you know how to zoom in on the respiration rate (see the Organizing your Oscar Charts in my signature), you will see the problem. If not, and you don't care, then I'm fine with that too.

Thanks, I'll look into organizing those Oscar charts, and posting them here when I can.

I also took an alternative viewpoint at this. I noticed that my Oscar data goes all of the way back to 2017, which I didn't realize that that much data had been saved. Philips' own Dreammapper only goes back to late 2020, when I first started using that app, so I thought perhaps that earlier data didn't exist until I started recording it for the first time.

Anyhow, looking at those historical data, I noticed that my RERA's were very low back in the early days. RERA's hadn't started becoming noticeable until I started experimenting with my own settings, about a month ago. My experimentation found a way to reduce my AHI numbers even further, but it increased my RERA's! So looking at the settings differences, what I had done was reduce my CPAP fixed pressure from 9.0 to 8.5 cmH20. The other difference was that I had turned off the C-FLEX pressure relief setting. Tonight I'm going to re-enable the C-FLEX setting, and see how that affects tonight's readings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2021, 01:11 AM)cathyf Wrote: I use a fitbit which seems to show sleep stages. Everything that the fitbit flags as an arousal has a particular "look" in the OSCAR flow rate graph. (You've got to keep the clock on your cpap very close to the real time to be able to line up a watch/activity tracker with OSCAR). What I see in my fitbit is that these brief arousals -- especially the 30-90 second ones that I am totally unaware of -- will send me crashing out of deep or rem sleep. I often return to rem sleep after a RERA, but almost never go back into deep sleep. So a RERA after 5 minutes of deep sleep may mean I get just 5 minutes of deep sleep for the whole night.

Which is really brutal.

Interesting, so you're wearing your Fitbit all throughout the night? I don't actually have a Fitbit myself. Also, the Clock on my Dreamstation is about as inaccurate as you can be. You can only adjust it to within 30 minutes accuracy, which is stupid for a modern digital device. Even analog watches could be adjusted to within 2 minutes accuracy.

Quote:The whole point about sleep apnea is that it's something that goes on when you are unconscious. So, yeah, you don't expect to be aware of it!

For me, I had been aware of my apnea even before I got my sleep study. It was the reason I requested the sleep study in the first place. I would often get 2 hours of sleep a night (don't even know how much of that was REM). In fact, falling asleep was a problem because I would often find myself snoring which would wake me up again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, so 1 night in, and it does look like the RERA's have gone down to almost nothing. Since it's only 1 night, I'm not going to make any conclusions based on that. Will wait a few more nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
So it's been a few days already, and it looks like RERA's have definitely gone down, but not completely eliminated altogether. What's considered a good RERA/hour rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
idk what the standard is for rdi (like ahi is under 5) & we can usually do better than that, but we'll never consistently be without some disordered breathing. in the end, it comes down to how you feel. if fine, ignore residual events including rera. if not, then you keep chipping away at them if possible.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2021, 06:58 PM)sheepless Wrote: idk what the standard is for rdi (like ahi is under 5) & we can usually do better than that, but we'll never consistently be without some disordered breathing. in the end, it comes down to how you feel. if fine, ignore residual events including rera. if not, then you keep chipping away at them if possible.

I'm still feeling sleepy at some points during the day. I think maybe I'll investigate the other large numbers I'm seeing such as Vibratory Snore and Variable Breathing, but I'll ask about them in a separate thread. I think we can consider this case closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2021, 12:05 AM)bbbl67 Wrote: ...I'll ask about them in a separate thread...

Actually the practice around here is to keep all of your stuff together in one thread. It helps because there are a lot of things that you might think are independent of each other that turn out to be intertwined.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,248 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 182 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 153 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 442 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 706 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,243 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 578 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.