Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RERAs do you trust your machine ?
RERAs do you trust your machine ?
After doing a bit of reading on rera I don't know if I trust my a10 to be that accurate in detecting them.
My results are so low that it's not an issue for me, just a passing interest.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERAs do you trust your machine ?
Having just updating in July of this year to a 10 model from an 8, that had virtually no data to offer to the average user. I feel confident that it is pretty accurate.

I make this statement not as a expert on apnea, but since I use 2 versions of software to check my daily status, and they both are within a hair of each other in readings, that this to be the basis of my belief. Like you, my RERA's are almost nill.
Post Reply Post Reply
I notice a correlation to RERA as registered by the PRS1 machines, and how I feel. I'm actually more sensitive to the RERA index (RDI) than AHI. It is a bit hard to see how it's calculated from the waveform.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2015, 07:43 PM)dwd1249 Wrote: After doing a bit of reading on rera I don't know if I trust my a10 to be that accurate in detecting them.
My results are so low that it's not an issue for me, just a passing interest.

It's not possible to tell for certain without EEG data, but yea, PRS1 RERA numbers in Sleepyhead mirror how good/crappy I feel, pretty well.

I'm not sure if the machine is calculating it or Sleeepyhead, but it seems to work pretty well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had Terry's experience as well. I was given a 560 as a loaner while they were getting a replacement. I think the Airsense gets the RERAs. Try using a lower straight pressure and you will see it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RERA's definetly correlate with how I feel. I have managed to get the numbers down after about 6 months. Some days, I don't see any RERA's at all.

I'm sure my data is accurate. I use Sleephead and Encore Basic, and they both report the same.

It's a good idea to use more than one software program for comparing. And yes, I know the data is read off the SD card and comes from the machine. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I posted this question myself and here is my experiences. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 that was purchased new in November and Australian made in 2015. I had no RERA readings from that machine. I sent it back to be looked at under warranty as it was very noisy and now have a loan machine, a Resmed Airsense 10 that was made in Australia in 2014. I now have RERA readings in my data, however always less than .09 There is a difference in the loan machine in that it can be set for straight CPAP, Auto or Auto For Her. My sleep doctors technician's advice is to forget the RERA readings as they can be associated with the dreaming state of sleep, and as the figures are so low they are not anything to worry about. The fact that the newer machine did not record them while the older one does was of interest to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
From Wikipedia under Respiratory disturbance index:

The respiratory disturbance index (RDI) — or respiratory distress Index — is a formula used in reporting polysomnography (sleep study) findings. Like the apnea-hypopnea index (AHI), it reports on respiratory events during sleep, but unlike the AHI, it also includes respiratory-effort related arousals (RERAs). RERAs are arousals from sleep that do not technically meet the definitions of apneas or hypopneas, but do disrupt sleep. They are abrupt transitions from a deeper stage of sleep to a shallower.

A RERA is characterized by increasing respiratory effort (and thus decreasing esophageal pressures) for 10 seconds or more leading to an arousal from sleep, but one that does not fulfill the criteria for a hypopnea or apnea. The gold standard for measuring RERAs is esophageal manometry, as recommended by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM). However, esophageal manometry is uncomfortable for patients and impractical to use in most sleep centers.

Some research studies have found that a high RDI was significantly correlated with excessive daytime sleepiness, and that this correlation was stronger than that for the frequency of oxygen saturation decreases below 85%, but other studies have found only a weak correlation.
Formula

RDI = (RERAs + Hypopneas + apneas) X 60 / TST (in minutes). That is, RDI means the average number of episodes of apnea, hypopnea, and respiratory event-related arousal per hour of sleep. (TST is "total sleep time".)
Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor says that RERAs without an EEG are simply a guess and he recommends the machine data on them be ignored.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but my doctor is young and seems well connected to the latest research.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in general agreement that they should be ignored unless you have a low low AHI but still feel crappy in the AM in which case a look at your data could show you if you had a lot of RERAs that might be something to follow up on and try to decrease. I also flag UF 1 and 2 in sleepyhead as well as something to examine more closely if I feel crappy or more tired but have a low AHI.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RERAs, RDI vs AHI in Oscar, flow limitations CPAPveteran 5 786 02-03-2024, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SomniumSusurrator
Question [Diagnosis] Why are my RDI/RERAs so High? rc102177 2 324 01-14-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 326 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,147 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Lost Trust in CheckmeMax O2 Watch cmpman1974 1 309 10-05-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Increased RERAs Uzupan 0 363 08-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Treatment] RERAs and Hypopneas Zandervexed 4 643 04-08-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.