Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should user change own settings
Should user change own settings
I've been reading posts on this forum. I'm so glad I'm here! I noticed some folks are changing things like pressure, ramp time, humidifier settings, etc.
My home care provider set my Dreamstation machine per doctors specification.
Does that mean that I should not attempt to make any setting changes myself?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should user change own settings
Depends. Ramp time and humidifier settings are for your comfort, and you should feel free to adjust them to your liking. Same with exhale relief settings. Pressure settings are set to the range or fixed pressure your Dr. recommended.
Many of us here monitor or own therapy using data collected by the machine and read in a software program like Sleepyhead. With the help of the clinicians manual for our machine, we access the menus that allow us to set fixed pressure for CPAP or a range of pressures for APAP. Most DR.s do not take a lot of time to help patients get the best from their therapy, so many people remain uncomfortable, or the therapy isn't as effective as it could be.
Now, do you want to dive in and learn what you will need to know to set your own pressure settings? Or are you more comfortable trying to get your DR. and med supplier set you up with your treatment. It's a choice, and only you can answer if you feel comfortable taking charge of your treatment.
I did it right from the start, and never looked back.
Post Reply Post Reply
My attitude is that it is ME not my doctor strapped to this mask all night. And I am going to learn and do everything that I can to make this work better for me. I have a lot more time to devote to that than my doctor does.

I can't see how you would cause anything other than a poor night's sleep mis-adjusting a standard CPAP machine. I am not sure about the higher pressure BiPAP and ASV machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, your home care provider or DME can only change settings with a doctor's order because law states this. The owner of a machine can do what they choose to do because....they own the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JayTea26wy,
WELCOMME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
what MosquitoBait said.... plus

You should not change settings unless you first collect data and learn to understand something about that data. However, if you do that - then you will be in a better position than your doc to say what the settings should be as 90% of them never look at the data.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
So do not change it yourself until the insurance payments stop? I think for Medicare that is 13 months. The paperwork says Medicare is *renting* the machine for me, not making time payments toward ownership. I am not clear that I would ever actually own this specific machine. Where is that spelled out?
Post Reply Post Reply
You should not be changing your pressure settings until you have analized your data by using software. You should download SleepyHead software and look at your data for a week or so, and keep track of your AHI and the breakdown of that number. You can study the graphs to see what apnea events you are having and the pressures needed. If you don't feel well, or the numbers are too high, then its time to take a closer look.

Now I'm not talking about EPR, FLEX, or Humidifer settings. These are for your comfort and you should change them as needed.

Medicare Compliance:
Medicare pays rent to the DME for 13 months, provided you have met compliance during the first 90 days.

Must use CPAP a minimum of 4 hours a day, 70% of the time, for 30 consecutive days within the first 90-day period.
Must also have a face to face Doctor Appointment after the first 31 days, but before the 90-day period is up.

Once the 13 months has ended, you own the machine.

You can find this information on the Medicare.gov website.

Now as far as not changing pressure, this is usually a scare tatic from providers and DME's. It has nothing to do with compliance and insurance paying. Insurance (Medicare) only looks at Compliance (hours used), not pressure settings.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 218 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 131 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 121 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 368 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,958 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,868 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.