Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP cured my sleep apnea but had slight trouble breathing when awake.
CPAP cured my sleep apnea but had slight trouble breathing when awake.
I had an AHI of 58 a few years ago and since then I have been sleeping with a Resmed APAP machine. My AHI dropped down to an average of less than one (1) nightly when I slept for all these years. CPAP solved my sleep apnea problem.

The trouble is when I am awake I have a slight breathing problem. I am in my sixties and my soft palate is sagging to the extent that it almost touch my throat when I rest on my back. Inhaling in is usually not a problem but when exhaling the soft palate seems to cover the throat due to gravity lying on my back, preventing the air from going out smoothly through the nose. Instead the air is forced through the mouth. When I open my mouth I can't see the "U" and the back of my throat as people normally do. 

Whenever I see a dentist I always have a problem breathing when doing dental procedures lying on my back. I had to ask my dentist to do the procedures with my face turned to my left or right to be able to breathe properly.

It is not a big problem now as I am used to the slight discomfort and learned to adjust my lying position. But I fear should there be ever a situation that I am bed ridden that should pose a problem.

Is it advisable for me to go for an UPPP while I am on CPAP therapy?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP cured my sleep apnea but had slight trouble breathing when awake.
That question would be better answered by your doctor. I know you're half way around the world; but I assume you have medical care.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,176 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 357 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 190 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.