Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RESMED Airsense vs Aircurve
RESMED Airsense vs Aircurve
I just got back on therapy after many years. My sleep doc ordered a RESMED Aircurve AUTO but the DME delivered a model S which I believe is BIpap. I didn't realize it was the wrong machine when the therapist delivered it, so I tried it for a few minutes. He came back a few days later with an Airsense AUTO. The Airsense was set up with EPR enabled, but I felt that exhaling was much more comfortable with the Aircurve model S/BIpap machine. Is the Aircurve Easy-Breathe waveform technology that different from the EPR technology in the Airsense?

Thank You !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RESMED Airsense vs Aircurve
It depends on how your machine was set up. EPR only provides up to 3 levels of relief, while BiPAP can be set up for significantly more.
Post Reply Post Reply
A10 AutoSet deliver ONE pressure, if EPR enabled, pressure drop at exhale by whatever level is selected (1, 2, 3)

Bilevel deliver TWO pressures, IPAP and EPAP
Pressure support is the difference between IPAP and EPAP can be set 4 or higher

EPR is not exactly like pressure support, it can be suspended when an apnea is detected

I would do a trail and see if helps ... set the Autoset on CPAP mode, so pressure remain constant all night (except Ramp time) and not fluctuate during the night as on AutoSet mode

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Both the AirCurve Auto and Model S are bilevel. (BiPAP is Philips Respironics' trademark for bilevel)

Anything that says "AirSense" is not a bilevel.

If the prescription is for a bilevel, you need to get them to replace it. It's not legal for them to dispense a CPAP if the prescription calls for a bilevel.

However, be sure the doc did indeed prescribe a bilevel, and didn't just writ AirCurve instead of AirSense.

Do you have a copy of your prescription? If so, post a copy of what it says, including the pressure settings.

The AirSense will not be able to do all that the AirCurve can do. The difference can be important, especially to someone who has trouble exhaling. A bilevel machine can provide much more help for exhaling than a "CPAP" machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi app1nag,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 04:36 PM)archangle Wrote: However, be sure the doc did indeed prescribe a bilevel, and didn't just write AirCurve instead of AirSense.

On the other hand, the AirCurve 10 Auto is ResMed's optimal machine for Obstructve Sleep Apnea, with more features than the AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her.

But if the DME double checks and finds the doctor meant the AirSense 10 AutoSet after all, I wouldn't accept it and would ask the doctor to change the prescription to the AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her model, which is the same price and has both the regular AutoSet therapy mode plus the more gentle AutoSet For Her therapy mode. Two machines in one. Increases the machine's value.

I think many men would prefer the For Her therapy mode if they were able to try it. If necessary I would change to a new DME supplier or wait for it to be ordered.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2015, 03:03 PM)zonk Wrote: A10 AutoSet deliver ONE pressure, if EPR enabled, pressure drop at exhale by whatever level is selected (1, 2, 3)

Bilevel deliver TWO pressures, IPAP and EPAP
Pressure support is the difference between IPAP and EPAP can be set 4 or higher

EPR is not exactly like pressure support, it can be suspended when an apnea is detected

I would do a trail and see if helps ... set the Autoset on CPAP mode, so pressure remain constant all night (except Ramp time) and not fluctuate during the night as on AutoSet mode

Welcome

What would a trial of that type determine?

thanks !
(12-06-2015, 12:49 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi app1nag,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

Thanks !!!
(12-05-2015, 04:36 PM)archangle Wrote: Both the AirCurve Auto and Model S are bilevel. (BiPAP is Philips Respironics' trademark for bilevel)

Anything that says "AirSense" is not a bilevel.

If the prescription is for a bilevel, you need to get them to replace it. It's not legal for them to dispense a CPAP if the prescription calls for a bilevel.

However, be sure the doc did indeed prescribe a bilevel, and didn't just writ AirCurve instead of AirSense.

Do you have a copy of your prescription? If so, post a copy of what it says, including the pressure settings.

The AirSense will not be able to do all that the AirCurve can do. The difference can be important, especially to someone who has trouble exhaling. A bilevel machine can provide much more help for exhaling than a "CPAP" machine.

I have a copy of the order which states Aircurve Auto 10-20
Post Reply Post Reply
As stated Aircurve is a BiLevel machine, but a setting of 10-20 would suggest an Auto CPAP machine. There is confusion in the prescription.
I would want to look at all the details of the sleep study used to determine the prescription. Then I would insist the doc correct the prescription to support the sleep study diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2015, 04:16 PM)bwexler Wrote: As stated Aircurve is a BiLevel machine, but a setting of 10-20 would suggest an Auto CPAP machine. There is confusion in the prescription.
I would want to look at all the details of the sleep study used to determine the prescription. Then I would insist the doc correct the prescription to support the sleep study diagnosis.

From ResMed: The AirCurve 10 VAuto is an auto-adjusting bilevel device that uses the comfort of both the AutoSet™ algorithm and Easy-Breathe waveform in its VAuto algorithm to treat obstructive sleep apnea patients who can benefit from greater pressure support.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2015, 08:00 AM)app1nag Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 04:16 PM)bwexler Wrote: As stated Aircurve is a BiLevel machine, but a setting of 10-20 would suggest an Auto CPAP machine. There is confusion in the prescription.

From ResMed: The AirCurve 10 VAuto is an auto-adjusting bilevel device that uses the comfort of both the AutoSet™ algorithm and Easy-Breathe waveform in its VAuto algorithm to treat obstructive sleep apnea patients who can benefit from greater pressure support.

Hi app1nag,

Perhaps bwexler's point was that an AirCurve 10 VAuto prescription would normally state the Min EPAP, Max IPAP and Pressure Support. (True)

Maybe the DME will assume the doctor meant Min EPAP 10, Max IPAP 20, and default value for PS (4, I think). (Good luck with that.)

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 389 15 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,724 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 553 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,600 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.