Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RESMED S9 Autoset problems/questions
RESMED S9 Autoset problems/questions
I had to take my Philips System One 5 A-flex in for servicing and they gave me an S9 Autoset as a replacement for the time-being.

First off, very quiet, way quieter than the Philips (I don't know if the newer generation of Philips (system one 6?) is quieter than my older box, I am pretty sure the compressor is only part of the problem, and the exposed surface of the humidifier is main culprit, which Resmed solved by enclosing the entire humidifier and putting in that interesting little extra surface in the humidifier to break up the sound - take note, Philips!), so that was nice, yes me likey, but I have three questions:

1) is there anyway to turn off the bloody start light? When not in use the thing is on all the time, and since I go to bed way later than my better two-thirds, she has this light on in the dark the whole time until I come to bed.

2) anyway to get more detailed information from it? Compared to the Philips, it is very undetailed in Sleepyhead. Whereas the System one 5 outputs not only hypopnea, obstructive and clear airway data, but also RERA, Flow Limit, Vsnore and PB/CSR in the Details bar on the left and the event breakdown, the S9 only outputs only hypopnea, obstructive and clear airway data and something it calls Apnoea (spelled American style as Apnea, odd for a machine from OZ where they use standard English spelling, not Murrican) which seems to have no bearing on AHI at all. I found the lack of detail a bit disconcerting. Anything I can change or hack in the clinician's settings to get a bit more out of it? Is this also a problem in the A10, since I will eventually have to change up the System One anyway (they replace the machines here after 4 to 5 years, since we mostly rent, not buy them, from the Lungen Liga) and I like how quiet the S9 is and assume the A10 is too.

3) once I read out the data in Sleepyhead and put the card back in the machine, it says "Invalid Card, erase data?" and won't accept the card unless I do. Suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RESMED S9 Autoset problems/questions
1- Not sure what you mean "When not in use the thing is on all the time"
The light only comes on when you push any of the buttons and only stay on for 3 minutes. When you start treatment, the light comes only briefly and goes out until you stop treatment or push a button. you can cover the light with piece of cardboard or something so not disturb your better half. During the day, you can unplug the machine or power-down (push the power button for 3 seconds)

2- If not mistaken, Apnea in SleepyHead refer to "unknown apnea", the S9 cannot determine the type of apnea accurately when detecting high leaks hence unknown apnea scored

3- Its been suggested to lock the SD card before you insert into the card reader and unlock before insert into the machine, to prevent anything written on the card and corrupt it, which the S9 do not like. You can let the S9 erase the data on the card (otherwise the S9 do not start with the card inside it) then the S9 write back the data on the card minus the detailed data as detailed data written directly on the card and not stored on the machine. Not a loss as you have already downloaded the data. Some like to do backups, I don't bother and don,t care much about data, if i sleep between 7 and 8 hours ... happy as can be
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that maybe DocWils means the start/stop button on the S9 and yes it is always on when the machine is powered and not in use and goes out when in use. It is only a low intensity LED and not very bright even in the dark. If it is annoying then as Zonk says cover it with something.
Post Reply Post Reply
My S9, although it is a VPAP Auto reports everything that your PR does in Sleepyhead with one or two exceptions and I am pretty sure that the Autoset does the same. I am not sure, however, what setting might need changing.

The only fix for the power button light that I know of is to unplug the S9 or put it on the floor.

Resmed uses the apnea spelling because they know that is the correct spelling. Dielaughing

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Small piece of black electrical tape should solve the light apnea problem. ;_p
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, thanks people. Will cover the button with something.

PaytonA, if it is correct spelling, they why call the language English? Should be called American, or, as I seem to hear it pronounced, Murrcan, just to distinguish it from the real English Wink.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2014, 05:39 AM)kmar92 Wrote: I think that maybe DocWils means the start/stop button on the S9 and yes it is always on when the machine is powered and not in use and goes out when in use. It is only a low intensity LED and not very bright even in the dark. If it is annoying then as Zonk says cover it with something.
Good catch. Beside covering with something, zonk also said unplug or power down

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2014, 10:54 AM)PaytonA Wrote: My S9, although it is a VPAP Auto reports everything that your PR does in Sleepyhead with one or two exceptions and I am pretty sure that the Autoset does the same. I am not sure, however, what setting might need changing.
Both AirSense 10 AutoSet and AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her report reports % of time in CSR and for Her reports RERAs

There is no setting to change on the S9, PR happen report a bit extra data than the S9 but I would not swap my S9 with any other machine .... the grass is not greener on the other side

S9 series data guide http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf

S9 bilevel series data guide http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2014, 02:12 AM)DocWils Wrote: 1) is there anyway to turn off the bloody start light? When not in use the thing is on all the time, and since I go to bed way later than my better two-thirds, she has this light on in the dark the whole time until I come to bed.

2) anyway to get more detailed information from it? Compared to the Philips, it is very undetailed in Sleepyhead. Whereas the System one 5 outputs not only hypopnea, obstructive and clear airway data, but also RERA, Flow Limit, Vsnore and PB/CSR in the Details bar on the left and the event breakdown, the S9 only outputs only hypopnea, obstructive and clear airway data and something it calls Apnoea (spelled American style as Apnea, odd for a machine from OZ where they use standard English spelling, not Murrican) which seems to have no bearing on AHI at all. I found the lack of detail a bit disconcerting. Anything I can change or hack in the clinician's settings to get a bit more out of it? Is this also a problem in the A10, since I will eventually have to change up the System One anyway (they replace the machines here after 4 to 5 years, since we mostly rent, not buy them, from the Lungen Liga) and I like how quiet the S9 is and assume the A10 is too.

3) once I read out the data in Sleepyhead and put the card back in the machine, it says "Invalid Card, erase data?" and won't accept the card unless I do. Suggestions?

1) Start light - You mean the little green light in the round on/off button? I don't think there's a fix. The LCD display light goes off pretty quickly. I guess throwing a towel over it is the only solution.

3) Format card. Do you windows 8.1 or a Mac? Windows 8.1 writes data to the SD card without asking for permission every time you insert the card in the machine. Shame on you, Bill Gates!!! Then the S9 has some design flaws that makes it reject the card after that happens.

Before you let the S9 machine reformat the card, copy the whole SD card into a directory on your PC. Name the directory something like 141022 for today's date. That way, SleepyHead can read your data again later if you ever need it.

There are some links in my signature line that might help you fix an SD card or keep Win 8.1 from messing with the card in the future, but the simple solution is to write protect the card before you put it in the computer.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,397 27 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 361 1 hour ago
Last Post: Matsu1
Question [Equipment] What Is Autoset (ResMed) 10 and Can It Be Disabled? Rickyricardo 2 46 2 hours ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 105 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  EPR questions juniper 5 197 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 175 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 356 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.