Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problems sleeping more that 6-hours
Problems sleeping more that 6-hours
Last night’s report is consistent with other nights where once I woke up after five or six hours of sleep, trying to go back to sleep doesn’t seem to work. Friday was no exception; I fell asleep at 9:26 PM and woke-up at 2:48 AM which gave me a whopping five hours and twenty-two minutes of solid sleep with an AHI of 0.37.

Getting up to use the bathroom and upon returning to bed, I laid there for 57-minutes and didn’t fall back to sleep, but I did manage to run up the AHI for that period to 5.26. Does this scenario seem normal? Are others out here experiencing similar sleep patterns? I normally don't eat or drink anything for a few hours before going to bed. I'm 63 and this wasn't my normal sleeping pattern when I was in my 30's and 40's. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Problems sleeping more that 6-hours
I experience the same issue frequently. Very low dose melatonin or some ibuprofen may help you drift back to sleep if you wake up in the very early morning hours. Sleep architecture/circadian rhythm can change for lots of reasons in addition to apnea as you age, so welcome to being in your 60's. You may want to assess if there are issues other than apnea interrupting your sleep. I think it's best to ignore any AHI reported by the machine while you're trying to get back to sleep - especially CAs - that's awake breathing garbage.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,007 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.