Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RESMED S9 Smart Stop does not work
RE: RESMED S9 Smart Stop does not work
I just tried without the humidifier but the problem still exists. I would be wondering because it worked also with the humidifier before. It really runs for a while to clear the system, but not with the full pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2013, 01:05 AM)Taxifahrt Wrote: I just tried without the humidifier but the problem still exists. I would be wondering because it worked also with the humidifier before. It really runs for a while to clear the system, but not with the full pressure.

I'm still trying to get an understanding of it myself.
When I used a borrowed S8 AutoSet II, I may have supposedly gotten to the clinician menu but there was no option to enable SmartStart/Stop. I still don't know if it's partly dependent on the type of mask I use. Hopefully when the S9 AutoSet makes it into my grubby little hands it will be easier to program.
Post Reply Post Reply
crazy:
S9 Elite with Humidifier H5I - Smart Stop does not work
S9 Elite without Humidifier - Smart Stop does not work
S9 Elite with Humidifier H5I but without the watertank Smart Stop works ?!?!
I will clarify with the distributor, seems the beginning of finding the bug.
Post Reply Post Reply
The distributor tells me, that there is no garanty for this feature.
He is not interested that it was working fine before.
The Reason should be the low pressure of 6.
(But last Week it worked also fine with that Pressure)
He was not wondering about why it is working with the humidifier without the water tank.
The only reaction was: Take the CPAP like it is or leave it.

So no Support from the distributor. Problem not solved!
Post Reply Post Reply
I was having the same issue. I went into the clinical settings, turned Smart Stop to OFF, waited a minute, then turned it back to ON, and now it stops on its own as it has for almost a year.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem with a brand new S9 Elite (just got it yesterday).

I think I figured out the cause of the problem: the machine is not calibrated well for the line pressure with nasal pillows attached.

The Auto Stop works if you disconnect the nasal pillow mask from the hose to reduce line pressure.

Alternatively, you can disable EPR in the clinical menue, and the Auto STOP will start working. EPR, of course, is triggered by the increase in line pressure during exhalation.

This is an obvious defect of calibration or design, IMO.

I'll try to exchange my machine, but I don't hold my breath.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
If either of you are going to exchange your machine and want to stay with Resmed (I like their machines but do NOT like their headgear so that means I don't like their masks), I would suggest asking for the S9 Auto Set.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK. I got the reply from the horse's mouth (ResMed tech support). They're perfectly aware that Auto Stop doesn't work in the circumstances I described above unless the pressure is well above 10cm of H2O or so. The reason is exactly what I thought it was: insufficient pressure threshold to trigger Auto Stop. They also know that disabling EPR helps.

The rep admitted that this, at least, should be mentioned in the User's manual.

And no, they don't have any model (incl. APAP) that would work at lower pressures.

This is very disappointing to tell you the truth. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2013, 04:14 AM)Taxifahrt Wrote: Hello All,
thanks a lot for the brainstorming. It worked fine with that Mask and the same Mask Setting before!
That could not be the reason!
I tried the unplug trick for more than 10 Minutes, but it did not work.
Any other Ideas?

call ResMed on the telephone. They can be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just want to report that I found a way around to make Auto Stop work. I simply replaced the Slimline hose with a slighter wider (regular) one, but left the machine setting on Slimline.

It may have a slight effect on the actually delivered pressure, but it should be minimal. Subjectively, I didn't notice any significant difference. If I have a chance to measure the pressure error, I'll report back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 6 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,478 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 16,465 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 627 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,469 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.