Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help/advice on other sleep issues
Help/advice on other sleep issues
Ok so I’m a CPAP user and have OSA.

What’s bothering me is that I have really vivid dreams and sometimes kick out, punch, talk etc in my sleep. Last night I apparently kicked my partner 3 times while I was in a deep sleep and I feel terrible about this today.

I take medication so not sure If linked to that 
- venlafaxine
- sodium valproate
Medication for bipolar disorder.

But I’ve also done some research and REM sleep behaviour disorder is showing up. Worrying me most is that REM Sleep behaviour disorder is linked to Parkinson’s disease which is in my family.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help/advice on other sleep issues
OK, here's what Dr. Google says, but the big takeaway is that you need to talk with your actual doctor.

I googled your two named meds, and I see that "strange dreams" is listed as a possible side effect of venlafaxine. I also see that sodium valproate can interact with SSRIs like venlafaxine, though I'm sure your doctor has this in mind. Patients are cautioned not to discontinue venlafaxine without consulting their doctors.

On the Mayo Clinic web site, I see that REM sleep disorder can be caused by "taking certain medications, especially newer antidepressants, or the use or withdrawal of drugs or alcohol." And as you say, this disorder may indicate potential for Parkinson's.

So, I strongly recommend that you talk with you doctor about your REM activity. If you your and your doctor can review your original sleep study, that could be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s great thanks for the reply. I’m back at the sleep clinic tomorrow but think it’s just a nurses appointment but might try see if the doctor will fit me in for a chat
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you looking at your data? It could be your pressure isn't adequate and you aren't going deep enough into REM sleep.

OR, if you are new to CPAP, it could be your dreaming is your brain having a party now that you ARE getting REM sleep.

Prior to CPAP, I used to have very lucid dreaming. It was a nightly game to me almost. But once I started CPAP, my brain said "HA! Take this!" and wow, the dreams I had! This lasted for several months until it settled down. There were a lot of nightmares.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,830 7 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 219 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.