Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ROUND TWO!! APPRECIATE INPUT!!
RE: ROUND TWO!! APPRECIATE INPUT!!
(07-02-2014, 06:27 PM)justMongo Wrote: Zonk: can you translate from his serial number to exact type.
I'm still not sure if he's got a VPAP S or a VPAP Auto.

you can't determine anything from the serial number, other than the country and year it was made in.

the REF number is the model number on resmed and system one machines, (possibly others)

the main resmed S9 REF numbers are:

primary codes:
36001 S9 "Escape" (CPAP Only)
36002 S9 "Escape Auto" (No data)
36003 S9 "Elite" (cpap only)
36004 S9 "VPAP S"
36005 S9 "AutoSet" (APAP)
36006 S9 "VPAP Auto"
36007 S9 "VPAP Adapt" (older)
36009 S9 "VPAP ST-A" (older)
36037 S9 "VPAP Adapt"
36038 S9 "VPAP ST"
36039 S9 "VPAP ST-A"
36050 S9 "VPAP Tx"
36065 S9 "AutoSet" 'for her' Pink
Post Reply Post Reply
Das ist gut. Meine ist eine 36006.

[Image: RESMEDS9RED.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 06:52 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Don,
Better luck to you this time around. You got a great deal on that machine, CONGRATULATIONS.!.
If you like the pillows, you might try a chin strap to help you keep your mouth closed.
Hang in there for more suggestions.

I told you I am a stubborn SOB!! Big Grin He wanted $1000. But it had been on Craigslist for 20 days and I will bet not one response except scammers.

Re' chin strap, the thing is I still use the dental device. There is no question whatsoever in my mind that it is beneficial -- just not as much as would be ideal and in a year and half or whatever it is, I have had only the most occasional and minimal discomfort with it. It locks my mouth closed. But air pressure still forces its way out past my lips. What could a chin strap do?

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 06:58 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-02-2014, 04:56 PM)Don in Austin Wrote: I was told it was bilevel and variable. Indeed, it has those options in the setup. For some reason, I can not find an actual model number on the unit.

Don in Austin

Hey Don in austin... *waves from Dallas*

look on the back of the unit, on the bottom of the label is a REF number, that's the actual model number.

if the REF number is 36004, then you have a VPAP S
if it's 36006, it's a VPAP Auto
if it's a different 36xxx, let me know and I'll look it up Smile

36006 and says "VPAP AUTO" on top. What is the difference between these two?

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 10:53 PM)Don in Austin Wrote: 36006 and says "VPAP AUTO" on top. What is the difference between these two?

Don in Austin

Your VPAP Auto can run as a VPAP S or a CPAP or a VPAP Auto.
You have 3 machines in one. Likely you'll find the Auto mode most useful.

You set an IPAP max, an EPAP min, and the PS and it will maintain the relationship of IPAP=EPAP+PS while staying in the range of not exceeding IPAP max or dropping below EPAP min.

In S mode, or with a VPAP S: PS=IPAP-EPAP where IPAP and EPAP are set at fixed values in the setup menu.
(No Auto hunting for optimum results.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just means you have three different machines in one.

CPAP
'normal' bilevel machine (S mode)
And the latest, greatest Resmed VPAP Auto (bilevel auto mode)

The PS (Pressure Support) is a fixed value that you set.
EPAP Is anything but inhaling
IPAP is only while inhaling (IPAP = EPAP+PS)
You can set EPAP MIN, IPAP max, and PS. Then machine will then mod the EPAP level up and/or down as it thinks it is needed while staying within the limits you set.

Examples:
MIN EPAP = 6
PS = 4
MAX IPAP = 25

Which means, the lowest setting for EPAP is 6, and in that case IPAP would be 10. The highest EPAP could go would be 21 (MAX IPAP 25 - PS of 4= 21)

I have the exact same machine but one generation older "Resmed VPAP Auto 25". Mine was set by my sleep doc some eight years back in "S" mode Fixed EPAP of 10, fixed IPAP of 13, or, "13/10". I've since been playing with it in 'auto' mode for some 4 months, settings as of last night are:
EPAP MIN = 10
PS = 3
MAX IPAP = 25

I did spend some time doing the reverse:
EPAP MIN = 6
PS = 7
MAX IPAP = 25 - as I thought I 'liked' feeling the pressure changing as I inhale and exhale - but my AHI tended to hover around '10' (which honestly is pretty good for me) - but since setting things to the current settings, I've actually got less leaks, and a consistently lower AHI - today was under '2'.

As my dream machine is rarely going above my MIN settings, tonight I am dropping my EPAP MIN from '10' to '9', and leaving the PS alone at 3, as well as the MAX IPAP at 25. So, if the machine thinks I need a higher pressure, I will get it, but I want to c a r e f u l l y and s l o w l y lower the numbers til I see what the machine thinks is best for me. I.E. one setting change of one point in a week - that kind of slow...

EDIT: - the only advantage here for me being in auto mode vs 'S" mode, is if the machine thinks I need more pressure, I will get it, and it has randomly done just that - odd nights, etc...

Now, as of tonight, I am setting it *lower* than my doc had it set to, but again, by being in 'auto' mode, the machine can/will raise the pressure if it feels I need it. If I made this change while in "S" mode - I'd only know if something was wrong by changing numbers etc - and I'd have to try and *guess* if it was caused by too low pressure, while in auto mode, I will see the machine choosing a higher pressure if needed - does this make sense?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 10:53 PM)Don in Austin Wrote: 36006 and says "VPAP AUTO" on top. What is the difference between these two?

the difference in a VPAP S and a VPAP Auto is similar to the difference in an Elite and an Autoset. only with bilevel available.

the S model runs with set pressures during the night, while the Vauto can vary the pressures based on your needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night:

AHI 7.8
Of this, (with apparent rounding errors):

.3 Obstructive -- Okay
.9 Central --Okay
6.4 "Unknown" Huhsign

Is this because my lips keep blowing open? False readings?
Using nasal pillows. A chin strap has been suggested, but my dental device already keeps my mouth shut. A big problem with round one of CPAP was trying to use full face masks. I don't have too big an issue with the fit or comfort of the nasal pillows.

Should I duct tape my lips? Doesn't seem good, somehow.

Min EPAP=4
MAX IPAP=10
PS=3

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply
What do your leaks look like for last night?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 08:28 AM)PaytonA Wrote: What do your leaks look like for last night?

I screwed something up with the SD card, so have no detailed data for last night, but the leaks have been high. I have been waking up realizing I am blowing air out through my lips a lot.

Don in Austin

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine Increases Pressure Without Input JeffNC 7 398 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Help interpreting OSCAR data - any input appreciated da123Afd 4 432 12-24-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: da123Afd
  [CPAP] Input needed eugyoo2 20 1,320 09-17-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  BiPAP Help - Round 2 mattw2019 3 758 07-25-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New user looking for input on data Jmack91 8 748 01-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: Jmack91
  AHI higher than I remember - Need some input dk5jmiller 4 723 11-01-2022, 06:52 AM
Last Post: dk5jmiller

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.