Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

RTL-SDR
Is anyone here into SDR?

I have one based on the R820T2 and picked up another one (hasn't arrived yet) that uses the coveted E4000 chip.

I use the R820T2 for listening to trunked radio. Since my Radio Shack Pro-2039 scanner is older than dirt it doesn't have trunking capability. Instead of buying a scanner at 300 to 400+ I just pieced together some free software, the RTLSDR dongle, modified my old scanner and the computers sound card and I can listen to the fuzz and everyone else in the county that uses the same system.

I also use the SDR for scanning Ham, decoding various digital modes, APRS, and listening to FM radio.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
12-18-2015 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: RTL-SDR
Our local Police not only went digital, they went to encryption.

By SDR, I assume you mean Software Defined Radio.
I think my PSK31 setup would fall into that category.
I have a few QSOs using PSK31.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015 06:07 PM by justMongo.)
12-18-2015 05:56 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows

Yeah that's the SDR. Our county is on Motorola and not encrypted.

Have you messed with JT65? I don't quite understand what my decoder is supposed to be showing me. I can get call signs from it but little else.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
12-18-2015 07:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Okay so my whiz-bang-elite E4000 died already. Annoyed-and-disappointed
I'm glad Amazon does refunds. I'll just get another cheap RTL2832U with the R820T2 chip instead of the E4000. Nothing up around 2ghz to listen to around here anyway. Might get two for the price I paid for the E4000 and set up a remote one in the 'shack' with a pi or arduino. At least I won't have to run an antenna cable through the rafters to my office. Although... now would be the time to do it seeing as the daytime temp is only in the 70's. Thinking-about

01-12-2016 07:20 AM
wolson Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PRS1 C-Flex
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Dreamwear
Humidifier: Remstar
CPAP Pressure: 10 cm H20 C-flex x3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I have RTL-SDR based on a RTL2832U and R820T2. I am also using an upverter for lower frequencies. My antenna sucks though ... I am using a 14 foot internal dipole without balun or unun and it is not totally effective. For higher frequencies I am using a small whip. I have a discone but I am not going to try to install it until it warms up ( it is currently -2F). AM and FM radio reception is good and I have used known stations to calibrate my software (currently using SDR#.) I don't yet have trunking software... probably the next step in improvements. My hopes was to DXL the Middle ham bands but that hasn't worked out well, yet.

Walt

P.S.I was surprised to see RTL-SDR come up here! WWO

Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor Emeritus
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 12:15 PM by wolson.)
01-12-2016 12:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

I'm using Ham It Up for HF. I've been using a small antenna and I do manage to pickup 40 meters with it. Not very well but when the conditions are right it is there. I have a discone that is sitting in the garage. Looking at different ways to mount that on the roof. It's light enough to attach it to the satellite dish mast. The plumbing vents are PVC and although the antenna is light with the potential winds around here I hesitate to clamp it to that. I have an eve mount but it might not be wide enough. Might use one of the eve mounts for a fan dipole. Also looking at getting some wall mounts too for another 2m/70cm antenna.

My problem is not too many places I can put a vertical that won't risk falling into power lines or require a zone variance due to property lines. Previous owner of this house was afraid of the dark so she requested a street lamp put in. The power for that runs on the side of the house that would be perfect for an antenna. They refused to remove the street lamp in the past and it has been burnt out for the last two years.

01-12-2016 12:44 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

My last foray into digital ham radio was using PSK31 with a Rigblaster unit, and that was probably in the late 1990's.

Haven't kept up with this new stuff at all, but it sound to me like you can get really cheap stuff (dongles) now that will allow you to do all sorts of stuff on the receiving end, correct?

What I would love to do is to be able to listen to city police and county sherriff frequencies here in Dixon, IL (in Lee County, IL and neighbouring Whiteside county)... I can find some frequencies, but I can't figure out if it's a trunked system or encrypted or what, exactly. Anyone know how to find out?

What would I need to purchase to get up and running with something that would allow that? Also, do you need Windows or could I run software on Linux?

I haven't got a clue as to how this stuff works - Is there a web site that introduces all this stuff to make it easier to understand? I'm probably more of an "appliance operator", for what it's worth.

SS (KB9xxx)

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

01-12-2016 01:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

(01-12-2016 01:59 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  My last foray into digital ham radio was using PSK31 with a Rigblaster unit, and that was probably in the late 1990's.

Haven't kept up with this new stuff at all, but it sound to me like you can get really cheap stuff (dongles) now that will allow you to do all sorts of stuff on the receiving end, correct?

Yes and very cheap. The dongles cost $20-$25 for the basic ones. Really don't need much more to start other than free software. It comes with a cheap, nearly-useless antenna. Though if your popo uses 800-900mhz, that little antenna will be fine.

The frequency range for the dongle is about 26mhz to 1.1ghz. If you want to tune lower you need an upconverter like Ham It Up that will convert the lower frequencies into a range that the dongle can tune.

(01-12-2016 01:59 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  What I would love to do is to be able to listen to city police and county sherriff frequencies here in Dixon, IL (in Lee County, IL and neighbouring Whiteside county)... I can find some frequencies, but I can't figure out if it's a trunked system or encrypted or what, exactly. Anyone know how to find out?

Best place to start looking for frequencies and systems would be http://www.radioreference.com/
Once you figure that out, if it is a trunked system, it's not encrypted, and a system that can be easily decoded, putting together an SDR solution would require either using a scanner with a discriminator tap to tune the control frequencies or two dongles. One would tune the control frequencies and the other would be tasked to tune the voice channels.

I use a program called Unitrunker to handle decoding the trunked system. Unitrunker with the two dongles is all you need to get started with trunking. Also, Unitrunker can link to RadioReference (if you have a paid subscription) and download the XML channel info for the system you want to listen to. Otherwise you will just see a bunch of numbers and group IDs.
Group ID 1022
Group ID 651
Group ID 1234

You'll eventually figure out what they are.

The XML contains the group ID and names so you'll see things like:
Group ID 1022 Animal Control
Group ID 651 County Dispatch
Group ID 1234 Fire Dispatch 1

Plus they will be color coded. Cops in blue, fire in red, animal control in green, school buses in yellow.

Oh and Unitrunker allows you to lock out certain groups. I have all the school buses locked out. Could care less about listing to those.

(01-12-2016 01:59 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  What would I need to purchase to get up and running with something that would allow that? Also, do you need Windows or could I run software on Linux?

I haven't got a clue as to how this stuff works - Is there a web site that introduces all this stuff to make it easier to understand? I'm probably more of an "appliance operator", for what it's worth.

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/ is a good place to get started on info. You can buy the dongles from them or eBay/amazon. NooElec is popular but stay away from their $50+ E4000 dongles. I'm returning mine.

For Windows: SDR# (Pronounced SDR-Sharp) and HDSDR are two easy programs to get started. SDR# is updated where HDSDR is a few years old now and no plans to update it. I use HDSDR because at the time SDR# was buggy. So now I'm used to it I just load that. I've been using SDR# more though because it is updated and they have plugins where HDSDR does not.

There are linux versions of SDR software. If you are a bit of a geek GNURadio is the ticket. That requires you to 'build' the software with drag and drop components for the various software radio components. Not familiar with the linux end of it so maybe someone who is can chime in on their favs.

There are also web based servers that connect the dongle to a machine and you access it over the network with a browser.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 02:45 PM by AlanE.)
01-12-2016 02:40 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I was part of the community developing the HDSDR but the boards were ghastly expensive and surface mount. I have several of them unbuilt. You could buy the kits which were the boards with hard to find parts (or parts that were only sold by the dozen) included. You bought everything else on your own.

I was interested in the SDR because it made ham radio much more accessible to me.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

01-12-2016 06:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

I think that was HPSDR. Which I looked into also. The basic system, Atlas, Ozy, and Mercury were still priced out of my range. The sampling rates were nice indeed.

01-12-2016 06:44 PM