Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help!
Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help!
Next week I am having a Turbinate Reduction surgery using radio frequency.  I have really found precious little online regarding the recovery.  I am trying to put together a recovery plan, but find nothing but conflicting info.  Some of my questions are below:

1. How long before I can safely blow my nose.
  2. Do I start using nasal rinse (neli-med) right after the procedure.
  3. How often should I use the nasal rinse.
  4. When is it safe to exercise again?
  5. Can I use my nasal pillow CPAP.  If not, when do I start back.
  6. Some sites say use Afrin the first couple days.  Others say not to.
  7. Not to sound silly, but if I am to avoid exercise for a while so I don't spike blood pressure, what about sex?
Any personal experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--Fit
(An OCD Engineer that must plan out everything)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Radio Frequency Turbinate Reduction - Need Ya'lls Help!
Not trying to be a smart-arse here, but aren't these all questions you should be discussing with your surgical team?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Fit. Since you are an OCD engineer, you must’ve read all papers on pubmed about long term effects of RFVTR.

When I evaluated it earlier, one thing that kept on Appearing is that the scar tissue keeps building up and most people need a redo in less than 7 years. So I decided against it and went with doing nasal rinses to slowly reduce the chronic swelling in my nose. It did help and now I breathe exclusively thru the nose.

My 2 cents. YMMV.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't mind, why are you doing this? I thought you were getting good results with your CPAP. We haven't seen much data, but you have that video out there that seems to suggest this is anything but essential.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been to 2 ENT's.  They give conflicting info.  Which also conflicts with what I read online from other ENT sites.  Looking now for someone who has gone through it to get their advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2017, 09:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you don't mind, why are you doing this?  I thought you were getting good results with your CPAP.  We haven't seen much data, but you  have that video out there that seems to suggest this is anything but essential.

I struggle to breath through my nose at evening.  The CPAP helps, by pushing air through the narrow passages, but often times that is not enough and it is hard to get to sleep as a result.  Once I am asleep, things seems to get better.  However, on the occasional nights that I can breathe freely, I always feel more energetic in the morning.  (already been the Flonase, neti-pot, Sudafed, claritan route)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2017, 09:30 PM)AshSF Wrote: Hey Fit. Since you are an OCD engineer, you must’ve read all papers on pubmed about long term effects of RFVTR.

When I evaluated it earlier, one thing that kept on Appearing is that the scar tissue keeps building up and most people need a redo in less than 7 years. So I decided against it and went with doing nasal rinses to slowly reduce the chronic swelling in my nose. It did help and now I breathe exclusively thru the nose.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Yes, I have gone through the nasal rinses, and claritan, and Sudafed, and Flonase.  They just like to start swelling in the evening making breathing labored, but not impossible.  I am aware that this may be repeated in the future, but there are some other benefits.  The radio frequency method  substantially reduces the chance of empty nose.  It is also an in office procedure with no general anesthesia.  My out of pocket will be about $100.  (already met deductible).  So, I see it as sort of a test run.  If it works, great!  If not, I will need to consider the more invasive procedure and possible a septoplasty.

Thanks for your advice
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal strips? They dilate the nasal passages.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows...problem solved.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2017, 10:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows...problem solved.

Whistle
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 244 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,361 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 661 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
Question Large size nasal pillow causing higher frequency of CAs? SwirlySauce 3 576 03-24-2023, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cushion Change Frequency Melman 12 2,462 12-08-2022, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Need help with swollen nasal turbinate's caused by CPAP LBTRS 25 3,943 10-13-2021, 10:20 AM
Last Post: allistairt
  Lots of Centrals and frequency Cheyne Stokes patterns Flex Plexico 4 752 07-29-2021, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.