Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rain out last night now ear pain
Rain out last night now ear pain
I'm currently trying to use my mom's old Resmed Bilevel machine until I finally get my new machine. I wanted to try to get started on mom's to try to get used to my pressure before needing to put in compliance hours with my new machine. My bilevel pressure is 18 to 12. 

I had been having issues with getting very dry mouth so have slowly been adjusting the humidity level higher. I think I over did it!

I finally made it to 5 hours last night but realized in the middle of last night that I didn't have my machine lower than I was sleeping and got quite a bit of rain out affect. When I finally woke up enough to know I was having a problem, I pulled my nose mask down and literally got a full spay of water on my whole face.  Rolleyes  As I woke up more and turned off the machine, I realized that I also had lung pain and lots of sinus pressure. 

As it will soon be bedtime I still have lung pain, sinus headache and a good amount of ear pain in both ears. Should I go ahead and use the machine again tonight with lower humidity or give my lungs and ears a break for tonight and just take sinus medicine? 

Thanks for listening to another newbie!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rain out last night now ear pain
It would be helpful if you could download and use sleepyhead. As far as rain out hang the hose higher than your machine and your head or use a heated hose. Ear pressure could becaused by congestion. I get it once and awhile I use flownase. I also will pop my ears like I was diving our high altitude.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, my ears feel like I've been under water. I thought I would try to put the machine near the floor tonight so that the hose goes down and gravity will keep the fluid down. I ordered a Hose Buddy today. It should arrive on Saturday.

I haven't tried Sleepy Head yet. I wasn't sure if I should wait to try it when I get my new machine or now. Last night was my longest time of having the mask on for 5 hours. The other nights were just one - two hours per night. I was thinking to try to work my way up to at least 6 hours consistently before figuring out Sleepy Head. 

I talked to my pulmonologist yesterday and he said he was putting the order to the DME as we were talking. So it could still be a while before I get my machine. He didn't sound open to me using Sleepy Head and adjusting my own pressure so I've been trying to decide what to do about that to.
Post Reply Post Reply
They all frown on us on adjusting own machine. Agreed putting it on the floor will help. Another suggestion to help you get used to it would be to wear it while awake wathing tv or reading a book. This way you could learn how to get it adjusted for leaks at the same time get used to it. I would still try sleepyhead now because it will help you figure out settings known so when you get new machine yoh know where to starg.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information. I took some sinus medication to reduce the ear pressure and have put the machine near the floor. I also looked up a couple YouTube videos on how to use SleepyHead. I have it downloaded to my Mac computer. But in one of the YouTube videos, he mentioned the types of machines that SleepyHead was compatible with and I don't think my mom's machine is compatible. They said ResMed 9 and higher, I think. I don't have that but mom's does have an SD card in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take the sd card and pug it into a laptop after a night using your machine andlet us know if it works. Lets hope it dose then we can help more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2018, 08:57 PM)LookingForward Wrote: Yes, my ears feel like I've been under water. I thought I would try to put the machine near the floor tonight so that the hose goes down and gravity will keep the fluid down. I ordered a Hose Buddy today. It should arrive on Saturday.

I haven't tried Sleepy Head yet. I wasn't sure if I should wait to try it when I get my new machine or now. Last night was my longest time of having the mask on for 5 hours. The other nights were just one - two hours per night. I was thinking to try to work my way up to at least 6 hours consistently before figuring out Sleepy Head. 

I talked to my pulmonologist yesterday and he said he was putting the order to the DME as we were talking. So it could still be a while before I get my machine. He didn't sound open to me using Sleepy Head and adjusting my own pressure so I've been trying to decide what to do about that to.

In many cases, they think you are too stupid to do it yourself.  You're supposed to make multiple appointments. Doesn't help you if you are having problems Friday night and can't get in for 3 weeks.  Don't ask permission to use Sleepyhead and adjust your own pressure. Instead ask for parameters because you will make adjustments to optimize your settings.  It's no different if you are a diabetic on insulin. You use a machine (blood glucose meter) and adjust your amounts of insulin up to the max set by the doc. People all over the world manage their own diabetes and that is honestly more complicated than this for MOST.

Secondly, don't wait until you have 'worked your way up'.  Use sleepyhead right away.  There might be some clear advice that can be given (not from me, I'm no good at reading most charts).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 343 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 288 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 455 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg
  Hip pain when waking up? rpierce 7 1,104 08-27-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.