Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rainout
RE: Rainout
(11-05-2015, 12:09 AM)usertc Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 11:37 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: my wife had the same problem on her 550 auto. I checked her machine.Dry hose wet mask.
Her own breath was condensing in her mask.
no heated hose so juSt warmed up the bed room a bit.
see if hose is for sure wet. If not your condensing your mask with your oWn breathe.

ill get wife a heatd hose this winter.
Dont like bedroom that warm.

the hose is definitely wet. I have to hang it to drain and dry. I can see the water droplets throughout the hose.

Yep your raining then. Which is odd with a heated hose. Unless the hose isnt working maybe?
I run a pr 560 auto heated hose. I can let the fire die down in winter so the bed room is like 50 degress. With the hos set on one, lowest etting and humidity maxed i have totally dry hose and mask..

Maybe the hose isnt heatin like it should?
Post Reply Post Reply
So I looked at my manuals and I have the ClimateLineAir which is heated. Last night I put the climate control on manual instead of auto with the temp at 75F. Our room is 68F at night. I also slipped the tubing into the sash from a robe, then put it on the floor so any condensation would run back into the machine. I actually slept 5 hours with AHI at 0.8. But then the rainout woke me up again, and yes, you can see the water droplets throughout the tube.

My mask finally arrived today. I was prescribed the Amara View minimal contact full face mask, but they had the wrong size when I picked up my machine, so they had to order it and ship it to me. In the meantime, I had a nasal mask from a hospital stay a couple of years ago and have been using that for the last week.

Anyway, with the new mask, even the airflow feels different. With the nasal mask I had turned the minimum setting up to 7 to get rid of the not enough air feeling, but with the full face mask, it felt too strong. This mask also has an anti-aspiration valve that the nasal mask didn't have, so I'm thinking this may solve the rainout problem. So since this mask is so different, I'm going to reset everything to what it was when I brought it home and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 08:30 PM)usertc Wrote: I started using the AirSense 10 Autoset for her a week ago and I've been suffering from rainout every night. I keep playing with the settings, but I feel like I'm going backwards instead of improving. Last night I turned the humidifier down to 1 with temp at 80F and only got a little over an hour of sleep before I woke up with water running on my nose.

Does anyone use this with the humidifier turned off? Does it still work ok? If I can just get this part dealt with, I think I might be able to get used to it. What sleep I do get feels pretty good with AHI under 2. I'm getting frustrated though.
I'm on my 4th Airsense 10 for Her - Terrible rainout (flooding and spraying) even with the heated hose and hose cover. Talked to a tech at ResMed and he said they had significantly increased the humidity on the Airsense machines. He said unless I had a ResMed mask (how convenient) I would have to insulate every square inch of my mask. I did that and now with heated hose and everything (really) covered and set to auto, it is still a fair amount of rainout instead of the great flood, but only if the humidity is not high - if humidity is high that day - good luck.

I am furious because I think it is a defect and some people like me also have the howling coyote humidifier bin that howls because of defective seals (freely admitted by the ResMed tech). I think they messed these machines up big time when compared to the S9 autoset that didn't have any of these problems. I have decided to just play meteorologist each day and use the manual settings - the rainout is just too bad and I use a non-ResMed mask. The whole situation is just awful in my opinion. ResMed could care less and said so quite openly. The supplier doesn't care either because they could not replicate the problem. Of course not, they didn't try to sleep with the thing with a non-ResMed mask........
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2015, 09:27 PM)bluemom51 Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 08:30 PM)usertc Wrote: I started using the AirSense 10 Autoset for her a week ago and I've been suffering from rainout every night. I keep playing with the settings, but I feel like I'm going backwards instead of improving. Last night I turned the humidifier down to 1 with temp at 80F and only got a little over an hour of sleep before I woke up with water running on my nose.

Does anyone use this with the humidifier turned off? Does it still work ok? If I can just get this part dealt with, I think I might be able to get used to it. What sleep I do get feels pretty good with AHI under 2. I'm getting frustrated though.
I'm on my 4th Airsense 10 for Her - Terrible rainout (flooding and spraying) even with the heated hose and hose cover. Talked to a tech at ResMed and he said they had significantly increased the humidity on the Airsense machines. He said unless I had a ResMed mask (how convenient) I would have to insulate every square inch of my mask. I did that and now with heated hose and everything (really) covered and set to auto, it is still a fair amount of rainout instead of the great flood, but only if the humidity is not high - if humidity is high that day - good luck.

I am furious because I think it is a defect and some people like me also have the howling coyote humidifier bin that howls because of defective seals (freely admitted by the ResMed tech). I think they messed these machines up big time when compared to the S9 autoset that didn't have any of these problems. I have decided to just play meteorologist each day and use the manual settings - the rainout is just too bad and I use a non-ResMed mask. The whole situation is just awful in my opinion. ResMed could care less and said so quite openly. The supplier doesn't care either because they could not replicate the problem. Of course not, they didn't try to sleep with the thing with a non-ResMed mask........

Yeah, I tried it with the Respironics Amara mask and not a drop of water got past the anti-aspiration valve. Unfortunately, it didn't fit my face well and I couldn't get a good mask seal. My AHI went from 0.8 to 4 so I decided to go back to the nasal mask, but tonight I dumped the water out and turned off the humidifier. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to call my dr Monday to see what he suggests. My mouth tends to open with the nasal mask so I think I need a full face mask, but the Amara didn't fit. My insurance allows one mask change, so hopefully I can get one that works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bluemom-

I'm glad you talked to Resmed. It is a defect, no doubt. This explains why you and I are on our 4th machines and the problem persists. For people that need the humidity we have to find other ways to control the tube environment (hose covers, tube placement and run, room temp and humidity, etc....). Changing out A10s won't help as we now see. I can't remember what you said about your room temperature. Today's humidity in Dallas is 40%. Perhaps having some heat on in the room at night will help decrease room humidity. This helped me greatly.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  [Equipment] ResMed rainout help Sorcha 2 383 12-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,211 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Rainout prevention - dry mouth issue BlueSky1958 5 583 11-22-2023, 10:05 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Constantly Rainout with Climateline all of a sudden, help? tierdal 6 760 09-21-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Sudden rainout on AirSense 11 dovaleh 8 1,663 09-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only. HMG7450 17 2,445 05-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.