Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rainout and Face Redness Questions
Rainout and Face Redness Questions
So I was having issues previously with full face and nasal pillow masks. I finally saw a respiratory therapist, and she recommend I try a nasal mask. It's working ok, but I'm having a few issues.

The first is I'm experiencing rainout and my nose gets wet. I'm thinking it's because the tube that connects to my climateline heated tube is like a foot long and not insulated. I've tried auto for both climate temperature and heated tube temperature. I changed the heated tube temperature to 82F with no change. We usually have our house HVAC set to around 76F.

Should I play with the settings some more. Or should I try to insulate the small length of hose on my mask?

Second question is all these masks make my face red for days where the outside of the mask touches my face. No matter how I adjust them. Would something with memory foam like the Airtouch N20 be worth trying?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rainout and Face Redness Questions
Rainout can be avoided by using a longer hose and making sure it runs uphill then back down to your mask. Do some research on CPAP hose holders / hangers. One of the best improvements that you can do. I also use a hose cover as well. It makes the hose silent if it should rub against something. 

As far as marks on your face from wearing a mask, give it some time for your skin / face to adjust. As long as you aren't getting any sores and such, the red marks should subside within a couple of weeks. 

I had marks on my face when I first started CPAP therapy. They did go away eventually.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your skin is reacting just to one part of the mask and not the other try making a custom cover. Cut up on old cotton t-shirt or bandana so that it fits around the nasal holes but covers the part of the mask that is causing irritation. Make sure not to cover any of the holes that are part of the cpap machine. If you find this helps make a few more so that you can wash them and use a fresh one every night. Also, make sure you are washing your cpap mask once a week. Germs can build up on it and cause irritation too. Good luck with everything!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Snuggle Skins CPAP tube cover that is long enough to cover the entire tube and the mask tube. You may want to turn down your humidity setting. I find using manual mode at 4 with tube temperature at 78 or 80 works pretty well. Keep the mask fit relatively loose. I find closed cell foams are more irritating than the silicone. Let's solve the moisture first, then deal with the marks if needed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.