Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rainout heated humidified tube
Rainout heated humidified tube
I use Resmed Airsense10 I recently tried the humidified heated air with settings at 4 for humidity and 70 for heat- still getting rainout at what I thought was conservative settings. what am I doing wrong- this option seems more annoying than helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rainout heated humidified tube
Not only does the humidifier and the heated tube have settings, there should be an Auto or Manual Mode. You will probably have to alternate between auto and manual and adjust the humidity and heated hose settings to get the right balance for your personal best comfort.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rainout will occur when the tube wall falls to the dewpoint for the humid relatively warm air from the humidifier. Your tube is set too low, especially if you sleep in a cool room. Set it to 80 or add a hose cover and your problem will go away. You will not perceive a temperature change in the air your breathe by increasing the tube temperature, but you won't get condensation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For many years I have used a quilted insulated hose cover and have never been affected by rainout. And the cover protects the hose and improves hose management. My personal feeling is opposed to rhe internally heated hoses-it just increases cost, and makes hose replacement a lot more expensive. I think my hose cover cost about $15. and I have used it nightly for peraps 20years.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
Another big thumbs-up, in regards to a hose cover. One of the best things that you can buy to improve the over all CPAP process.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my temperature  set manually lately at 84 'F with humidity at 2 seems to be working lately with atmospheric humidity 65%. I had mine on climate auto and it is hit and miss and went back to manual settings. I use approx 1/2 tank of distilled water each night and it helps with not such a dry a throat or lungs. I was also using no heat in early summer with humidity off, hose heat off and still used a half a tank but then started getting rainout when the surrounding atmospheric humidity started to go up. That's the beauty of a heated hose when you get it right on manual settings. If you lived in a desert surrounding(Arizona) you could set humidity higher with less heat to the hose more than likely IMO. Hose coverings work, Resmed makes one for the climate hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
My hose temp. is set at around 80 and humidity at 2. I also use a hose cover which I feel is a big player in eliminating rainout.

My settings get changed as the weather and humidity changes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wanted to share that I'm noticing a weird scenario with using a quilted cover on my heated hose on my Dreamstation Auto.

There is another thread here where I have been describing my difficulties in solving a problem with excess water usage with the humidifier at setting #1. I've tried everything under the sun, even sent the machine in for warranty repair as I was noticing the full tank of water being used up within 6 hours, and the plate temp exceeding the max of 149 degrees. When I got a replacement machine, the same thing was happening.

So fast forward, I tried a different mask. Same thing. I even resorted to placing a piece of paper between the tank and the heat plate, and that worked, but certainly only a bandaid. So, the only remaining thing that hasn't been adjusted or reviewed was the heated hose. So on a lurch, I took the quilted cover off and ran it one night. In the morning, the tank was half full. So for the next night, I removed the paper. That next morning, after 8 hours, I had a little leass than 1/4 left. Hmm, very strange. So for the last week I've been running without the quilted cover and the unit is working perfectly.

After reading this thread, and seeing all of the people using covers with their heated, I just decided to put it back on, BUT make sure that the cover does NOT overlap either end. My current theory is, the cover was overlapping the sensor portion at the mask end, and causing a problem. Although I was testing with and without the hose heat on, and with and without the Adaptive/Fixed on, I can confirm the cover was causing an issue.

Tonight will be my first run with the cover back on, and I made sure that not another thing was touched. It is set with the heat hose on #1 with adaptive, and humidifier on #1. Again, I used a nylon tie to ensure the cover on both ends were secure to allow approx 1/2" of the house itself to be visible to ensure the sensor wasn't being affected. I'm looking forward to how this works out tonight.

Thought I'd share.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2020, 04:48 PM)Canuck 2 Wrote: I have my temperature  set manually lately at 84 'F with humidity at 2 seems to be working lately with atmospheric humidity 65%. I had mine on climate auto and it is hit and miss and went back to manual settings. I use approx 1/2 tank of distilled water each night and it helps with not such a dry a throat or lungs. I was also using no heat in early summer with humidity off, hose heat off and still used a half a tank but then started getting rainout when the surrounding atmospheric humidity started to go up. That's the beauty of a heated hose when you get it right on manual settings. If you lived in a desert surrounding(Arizona) you could set humidity higher with less heat to the hose more than likely IMO. Hose coverings work, Resmed makes one for the climate hose.

Another mention that might help is to have your machine lower than where your head rests with climate hose above your head like shown, if there is a large amount of droplets that form on the inside of hose it would natural drain back to reservoir from just gravity possibly. (still experimenting in that realm)
The best solution is just have tube temperature high enough to keep moisture from  forming droplets that creates rainout and still deliver a humid mist to you as you sleep.

Click on picture to enlarge.
I put the machine in the drawer with a small opening to allow air in and heat out & have been doing this for the last 5 years,but on the top drawer.(recently placing it in this open drawer on the lower tier.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Canuck2, I also operate my machine in a drawer, but the tube and power are routed through a 2-inch diameter hole in the back of the cabinet.  Same idea, and it is very quiet since the drawer can be fully shut.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5043]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 475 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 953 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 195 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 455 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 613 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.