Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rainout-no humidifier-please help
Rainout-no humidifier-please help
Hello, new to any forum and I am frustrated that I cannot find what I am looking for with a google search. I can’t be the only person who does not use humidification. I am newer to the CPAP and during my first few months I stopped using water all together because I would wake up being water boarded. Went back and forth with the “counselor” and insurance denied my machine since I was not using it enough. Who would when you wake up covered in water. 

I did my own troubleshooting and stopped using the water tank totally. This helped a lot but I still get water in my mask and I am getting fed up and considering ditching this machine as it is suppose to help me sleep. I wake up constantly wiping my face and mask off.  I notice that 95% of the water is in my mask and very little in the hose and I am talking a good deal of moisture. I have the heated tube setting at 0 and tank heater at 0 (don’t use tank) and am wondering if turning it up would help even though I hate the feeling of warm air. 

I would appreciate any ideas or help because this machine is about to go flying across the yard. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rainout-no humidifier-please help
there would be no place to get water in the mask if there is no water in the humidifier.  Have you washed the mask and tubing?  It could be they are still wet and not allowed to dry completely before use.  Other than that I have no insight on your problem.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe if you turned your heated hose to its highest temperature this would evaporate the wetness.  

Wait, I think I have another idea.  This one is two part.  First your pap machine needs to be set a little lower than the height of your mattress.  Second, if you use a hose hanger the hose will be elevated well above your head, and I think rainout would be much less likely to occur.

Best of luck!

Here's an example of a hose hanger:  [Commercial Link Removed] Search Amazon for,"North American Health + Wellness CPAP Hose Holder Hanger"

I actually use that with this: [Commercial Link Removed] Search Amazon for,"Retracting Reel CPAP Tube Hanger Holder Cozy Hoze Boss "

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a different mask? I have tried a lot of masks and some just don’t vent as well and moisture can build inside the mask from exhalation. That would really be the only source of moisture if you are not using the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi  scaci598

Another thing to consider is ambient room Temp and Relative humidity. 

When my room Temp falls to around 23/24C then I often get condensation in the mask (DreamWear or Resmed F30i) but not the hose.

This is different to rain out.

It is simply water/humidity from my exhaled breath condensing against the cold full face mask.

So I try and keep the AirCon around 25C.

Trouble with condensation in the mask is that it leaks between the mask and my face and breaks down the seal and then I wake and have to start all over again.

I do use the Humidair and heated hose at 27 and find that in summer here with the AC on I get better results with ClimateControl on Auto. 

I keep an eye on my cheap Thermometer/RH meter and the weather forecast for the night's temps and RH values, and if there are extremes expected I adjust my Room Humidifier, AC setting and PAP machine accordingly.

Just another part of the equation, may not apply to you but something else to consider.

All the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the comments. I believe that it is caused by my breath and the temp of the room. I always have a fan blowing full blast on my face. Last night I did try and turn the tube heater up to 2. This seemed to work although it was a little uncomfortable since I hate the sensation of warm air in my face when I sleep. I also placed the machine on the floor as suggested. Thank you all for your help as I was one drop of water away from breaking the machine. This would of gotten me banished to the basement as my wife does not enjoy my snoring.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Using the heated tube will warm the wall of the tubing, but does not heat the air. Preventing condensation is all about keeping surfaces below the dew point. Using something to hang the tube so it rises from the machine and returns to bed level will help ensure any moisture from the humidifier drains back to the humidifier. I use a simple lanyard like you would hang an ID tag from, and loop it around the tube and hang it on the headboard or a command hook. You can also use a fleece cover which does not add heat, but protects the tube from cool air, and also feels good when it touches your face or skin. I use a Snugglehose on Amazon. Finally, Supplier #31 specializes in mask padding and covers. A mask cover will prevent cold air from contacting your mask causing condensation.

Most of your problems are self-inflicted, by blowing cold air on your tube and mask. That can be mitigated by insulating the surfaces that can condense. You couldan simply use CPAP without a humidifier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Commercial Link Removed] Search Supplier #1 for Resmed side cover.

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
You could purchase or make a mask liner.  There is a supplier (on the supplies list) who exclusively sells various mask liners, hose cozies and liners for XPAP.  

I simple cut out a square of cloth (tee shirt) bigger than the mask,( maybe 2" all around the outside) cut out a hole for nose/mouth.

The liner will absorb moisture.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I was having issue with Rainout. I wear a nasal mask and every night for a week i kept waking up because I could breathe water. I noticed the condensation right after I started using a humidifier or sleeping with fan on. my room is small. I would also say that heated hose help alot , without a heated hose condensation would have been worse for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  [Equipment] ResMed rainout help Sorcha 2 383 12-29-2023, 04:00 PM
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,207 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.