Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ramblings about CPAP to APAP?, and stuff.
RE: Ramblings about CPAP to APAP?, and stuff.
Oh I get that, my Clinician didn't know her backside from her elbow, I have switched off the EPR, I personally don't like it, I am a terrible mouth breather as well, even though I use a FFM, I also have to use a chinstrap but a 'Ball Gag' might be better in my case, I know some 'Tape' their mouths shut but I havn't got to that yet, anyway I have a goatee.
I do use a Humidifier as well and a Dry Mouth spray if I wake up in the night.
As I said in another Msg, my problems arise from an oval throat, I sleep almost flat because of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both, but thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, my settings worked, I'm quite chuffed with myself, my AI was 0.0, Hyponea 0.8 and AHI 0.8, I also slept for an incredible 9.16 hrs, which for me almost is about a night and a half of my regular amount.
'Unintentional' leakage was not there either, so it does look good.
One thing I can't quite understand fully is why pressures are peaking quite high, my Median is 13.9 and the 95th percentile is 18.5 although the average is low, (For me, that is!), the Max was 19.9, I 'Suspect' mouth breathing is buggering these figures up though as even with the Humidifier I was really dry this morning and my charts showed 'Snoring', albeit very slight.
After almost seven years on this forum, I have learned a lot, one thing that rises head and shoulders above the rest though is, never trust a Doctor, because at the end of the day, they bury their mistakes......
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2017, 09:19 AM)Podd Wrote: One thing I can't quite understand fully is why pressures are peaking quite high, my Median is 13.9 and the 95th percentile is 18.5

95% of the time you are at or below a pressure of 18.5.
50% of the time you are at or below a pressure of 13.9.

Compare the flow limitation and pressure graphs. My guess is that you're having lots of flow limitation, which causes your pressure to rise. You may want to bump up the low end of your pressure range.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepster, well, I am a 'Tinkerer' in as much as I'll probably touch the wet paint just to see if it's wet and if something can be adjusted then I'm your man.
That aside, with Apnoea even I'm careful, I read a lot but form my own opinions but know when I am out of my depth, this time, I'm on the fence.
Like I said earlier, my throat is oval which I assume makes it prone to collapse, hence flow limitation, honestly a Sleep doctor told me once that I'd make a great sword swallower, I really wanted to punch him.
Well, my old CPAP was at 14cmh2o, so as an 'Experiment' with mind that this APAP tells me my Median pressure is 13.9cmh2o, if I set the Lower limit to 13.9cmh2o and leave the upper Limit at 20cmh2o, that should either confirm flow limitation or leave me with a lot more questions?
With the EPR off, I did get a much better sleep though as my numbers indicated, I will hazard a guess that an earlier poster was correct that flow fluctuations were affecting my sleep, but as I understand it high pressures under certain conditions can also cause an 'Issue', this method of setting the Median pressure to the lower treatment limit might give me some answers I am seeking, or leave me even more puzzled.
As I stated in an earlier post, here in the UK Compliancy doesn't exist, most of us cope on our own and judging from my own experience from our UK Professionals, we are probably a lot better off that way.
Obviously all of us would rather not have Apnoea, but knowing more about your condition than the Doctors treating it is quite a scary thing, but at the same time quite satisfying in a very smug way, after all it's our body we are caring for and even though we don't have a choice, we live in here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2017, 01:18 PM)Podd Wrote: Well, my old CPAP was at 14cmh2o, so as an 'Experiment' with mind that this APAP tells me my Median pressure is 13.9cmh2o, if I set the Lower limit to 13.9cmh2o and leave the upper Limit at 20cmh2o, that should either confirm flow limitation or leave me with a lot more questions?

I would get more advice on that before making that change but it sounds okay to me.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that wasn't very successful Hypopneas were now at 1.7, not very high but I didn't have any before.
I seem to recall reading some where that Resmed's Algorithms tend to err on the side of caution with events over 10cmh20, there are a few postings out there regarding the Airsense 10 and Central Apnoeas where it dosn't actually do anything, rather that apply the wrong treatment.
Shallow breathing on high pressures appears be an issue for me, so I will look at that over time, possibly reducing the upper limit by 1cmh20 per night.
So I think the Flow Limitation is spot on but the high pressure and the way my body 'Reacts' to it is causing it.
With hindsight, I could be doing this around the wrong way, I survived for many years on CPAP at 14cmh20, perhaps starting with a very narrow range and adjusting outwards might be the way to go, dunno, I'll ponder that for a bit!

Apnoea didn't beat me, I'm dam sure a machine designed to treat it won't either
Post Reply Post Reply
Give a trial a few days. You're looking for consistency in results, not a 1 hit wonder.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
After seventeen years of CPAP/APAP I hear ya, the initial settings supplied by my sleep clinic were a complete joke and the higher than normal pressures were causing me no end of 'Perceived' problems. As I keep 'Banging On' about our NHS, there isn't any patient aftercare, we are diagnosed, given a Machine and that's it, we are left to cope, I have stopped adjusting as my sleep has improved, I will review the data though as I find this informative. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
With a great nights sleep behind me and an AHI of 0.9, I'm happy now.
So, after my transition from CPAP to APAP, do I think it was successful?
A resounding yes, my graphs only showed a couple of 'Blips' of interest and in all cases the Resmed S9 performed admirably.
I did sleep on my side last night though and I think it showed a slight improvement because of this as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 365 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 564 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 427 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,412 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.