Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ramp and Data
Ramp and Data
So, I have a question about the ramp feature and data recording.

Does the device record apnea events during the ramp, or only once you reach full pressure?

I ask because, looking over my data, I never see any apnea events in my ramp up time. I realize this is partially because you're awake during this time, however my ramp is set pretty long as I'm still getting used to sleeping with this.

As I was typing this, I realized I can just hold my breath tonight during ramp and get my own answer. Oops
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ramp and Data
I don,t think S9 score apnea during ramp while PRS1 does
In any case apnea scored while awake are meaningless
Its not a good idea to set ramp pressure too low or/and for too long
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I looked back on my sleepyhead data and don't see any events during the ramp. interesting.

I stopped using a ramp a week ago anyways, but still interesting. I usually fall asleep very fast so a long ramp might miss some events?
Post Reply Post Reply
As zonk stated, the way the Resmed devices are programmed means that they do NOT record and do NOT respond to events that occur during the ramp up period. So it is critically important for an S9 user who uses the ramp to have the starting ramp pressure as close to their therapeutic or minimum pressure setting as is comfortable AND to have the ramp time match their latency to sleep.

The Philips Respironics System One machines, however, do record events that occur during the ramp up period. And if you've got a System One AUTO running in Auto mode, the machine will respond to events by increasing the pressure (by 1cm) and then continue to ramp up from the new pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
very good information

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ramp set, and while I was on ramp I believe I drifted off to sleep. During that time, there are events identified by sleepyhead (I have two user flags set, and those events were identified). On another occasion, I had VS but not close enough together to test whether the PRS1 would have reacted to them.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Contrary to what was written above at least some S9 machines DO record events during ramp. My VPAP Adapt always records some hypopneas during the ramp. These events ARE included in the AHI calculation. I don't know if it would record apneas as I hardly ever get any these days Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
just my luck. I ramped again today and got user flags and a couple CAs (something my machine would skip anyway...)
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 399 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,192 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 606 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Machine noise during ramp-up. rfkennard 0 410 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: rfkennard
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 972 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.