Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ramp auto Cpap vs cpap
Ramp auto Cpap vs cpap
Hi, I have an Airsense 10 with has auto Cpap and standard Cpap features.  The question is, is there a difference the way the ramp works in auto Cpap mode vs standard cpap mode?  The question is actually not for me it's for a co-worker who has the same unit.  He is just starting out and is struggling terribly.  If auto Cpap senses whether or not you are breathing how could the ramp be useful?  Wouldn't it just override the ramp feature?  I was thinking of setting his machine to standard Cpap with ramp to make it easier.  Is this thinking correct? 

He is going through the normal stuff like, it feels like he is suffocating and says it's over powering him.  His ramp is set to 4 and ramping to 15.  It's set to auto Cpap.[

He is ready to give up and I don't want to see that happen if possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ramp auto Cpap vs cpap
Ramp is optional but can ease the transition to full therapeutic pressure. The ramp on the Airsense 10 can be on a timer for 5 to 45 minutes or set to auto. The default ramp starting pressure is only 4 cm. That is too low for most of us. The best bet if you're going to use ramp is to set the minimum pressure to a comfortable level, and use Auto mode so it detects sleep.

have your friend join, and he won't struggle for long. We're easy to find.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2017, 06:51 PM)tsolanto Wrote: His ramp is set to 4 and ramping to 15.  It's set to auto Cpap.

Auto-CPAP mode means there's a range of pressures, not just one single pressure.

So, for example, a range of 10-15 means it will start at 10 and rise as high as 15 only if needed, and then lower back down to 10 if not needed, or spend any amount of time necessary anywhere between 10 and 15.

On the other hand, if not in auto-CPAP mode but in fixed pressure mode and set to 15, then it will just stay at 15 all the time.

The ramp feature doesn't override any of this. If ramp is turned on and set to start at a pressure of, say, 7, and then spend 10 minutes ramping up, here's what will happen in the above two examples.

At a fixed pressure of 15 it will start at 7 and spend 10 minutes ramping up to 15.

At a pressure range of 10-15 it will start at 7 and spend 10 minutes ramping up to 10.

Your friend's pressure of 15 can be rather intolerable, so I would consider setting it in auto mode so that it rises to 15 only when needed. But that is just something to consider. We need to know more to be able to offer any real help.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airsense manual says that when ramp is set to auto, it will start at the ramp start pressure until it detects a sleeping pattern, then increase 1cm/minute until it hits the minimum treatment pressure. If it doesn't detect sleep, it will goto pressure after 30 min.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tsolanto,
It is great to hear that you are looking out for your friend and with your help, hopefully he won't give up on the CPAP therapy, it can take some getting used to.
I wish your friend good luck on his quest for better sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone I have him the link to the site and he assures me that he will join and share his journey. I appreciate all your help and advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2017, 07:04 PM)tsolanto Wrote: Thanks everyone I have him the link to the site and he assures me that he will join and share his journey.  I appreciate all your help and advice.

Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2017, 08:33 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: The Airsense manual says that when ramp is set to auto, it will start at the ramp start pressure until it detects a sleeping pattern, then increase 1cm/minute until it hits the minimum treatment pressure.  If it doesn't detect sleep, it will goto pressure after 30 min.

Another layer of complexity for a newbie to navigate! I just looked in my AirCurve manual and saw no mention of it.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, ramp is the same whether in cpap or auto mode for most machines. It ramps up according to your setting up to the minimum therapeutic setting. Then your therapeutic settings take over. I found it helped until I adapted to the increasing pressure ( a few weeks). I turned it off after that. It's a comfort thing. I know if I had to start off at 13, I'd be using a ramp all the time or I'd never get to sleep.

When setting the ramp, you should be able to set the minimum to start. I'm perfectly comfortable at 8 now, for instance, so I'd start my ramp there rather than at 4 (where I can't breathe!!). When I first started, my minimum setting was 8, so I ramped up from 6 because I was comfy at 6.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 53 3 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 115 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 82 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,332 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.