Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ramp option question.
RE: Ramp option question.
Thanks again for all the replies. For me, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. It usually takes me a while before I nod off anyways.  

I think the longest period of time I've had it set for, was 30 min. I know I don't feel air starved if it's on, and I don't feel like it's too much air if it's off. 

It's been almost a full year now since having started SA Therapy. I'm still kind of exploring all the functions and options on my machine. I'm slowly but surely (I think) getting it dialed in. 

I've been into the clinician menu but I haven't messed around with anything in there. I wouldn't, unless I've touched base with some of you on here first.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2019, 10:33 AM)Big Guy Wrote: It's been almost a full year now since having started SA Therapy. I'm still kind of exploring all the functions and options on my machine. I'm slowly but surely (I think) getting it dialed in. 

I've been into the clinician menu but I haven't messed around with anything in there. I wouldn't unless I've touched base with some of you on here first.

Big Guy,

I've been impressed by your positive attitude and your positive and helpful comments. What puzzles me is that you're not taking full advantage of the forum by using OSCAR and posting data to get help to get your settings dialed in. Unless your feeling great and are sure you have your settings dialed in I encourage you to take that next step. I Suspect you've realized that MyAir doesn't provide much useful data.

Just a friendly suggestion. Smile  Not trying to twist your arm. Given your avatar, I probably couldn't anyway.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2019, 10:53 AM)Melman Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 10:33 AM)Big Guy Wrote: It's been almost a full year now since having started SA Therapy. I'm still kind of exploring all the functions and options on my machine. I'm slowly but surely (I think) getting it dialed in. 

I've been into the clinician menu but I haven't messed around with anything in there. I wouldn't unless I've touched base with some of you on here first.

Big Guy,

I've been impressed by your positive attitude and your positive and helpful comments. What puzzles me is that you're not taking full advantage of the forum by using OSCAR and posting data to get help to get your settings dialed in. Unless your feeling great and are sure you have your settings dialed in I encourage you to take that next step. I Suspect you've realized that MyAir doesn't provide much useful data.

Just a friendly suggestion. Smile  Not trying to twist your arm. Given your avatar, I probably couldn't anyway.

I have in-fact thought about downloading OSCAR. Problem is, I'm quite sure that I couldn't do it all by myself. I know enough about computers to get me into trouble, but not enough to get me out. 

But, I do have an adult step-son that could do it I'm sure. The next time he's over here, and if I remember, I'll ask him about it. 

I would like to be able to post up some OSCAR charts, but I'm well aware of my computer limits and I don't often go looking for trouble. 

Thanks though for bringing it up and pressuring me just a little. That may have been just what I needed.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
This is not that complicated. Ramp is a comfort things and has nothing to do with therapy, although it MIGHT help you get into therapy mode (it does for me). Some people do not have any problem with breathing with pressure, I do and I am what the ramp is for. Yes some people can get used to the pressure, but not me as I cannot sleep with it starting at full pressure.

The machine DOES change how it behaves while you in the ramp phase and it will bump the pressure and decrease the time in ramp mode if it detects an apnea.

Bottom line if you turn off ramp mode and fall asleep just fine, then leave it off. If not try ramp mode for different times until you find a comfortable setting.

BTW the ramp setting tells the machine how long to take to come up to full pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
I was only diagnosed and put on PAP recently, but I’ve know I had apnea for a long time. I tried managing it by various means, some of which actually worked well for a few hours, but I tended to remove them in my sleep.

Without PAP, there would often be an event at the moment I fell asleep, either waking me up, or, if I wasn’t alone, leading me to try to be the last one asleep. Either way, I was, in a sense, trying to be vigilant, which does not mix well with sleep.

Throw in a few years of listening to whether my wife was still breathing ok, and basically I was trying to remain vigilant all night.

For that matter, the less I slept, the more oxygen and rest I got, which isn’t saying much.

Once I made the decision to start PAP though, my attitude was/is, if I have to do this, then let’s hit the ground running and just get on with it!

For me, the ramp was really more of a distraction/delay. I’d stay wide awake, waiting for it to reach full pressure so I could go to sleep.

With ramp off, as soon as the pressure is up and the mask is sealed and holding, I feel ready to shut down and go to sleep. I focus on steady breathing for a few minutes and I’m out.

I guess for me, full pressure means I’m off duty and don’t have to be vigilant. It’s relaxing.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, Flex was the training wheels instead of Ramp. I had to start at 3 for a few days, then dropped to 2 for a few, and now I’m pretty comfortable at 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
I chose to turn Ramp off after the 1st or 2nd night I had the ASV. Yes, it likely just delays the needed therapy for most people. For me, Ramp does certainly delay things, such as the ASV being able to react to my events. Ramp had a big negative effect on my numbers but more important was it was a serious negative on how I felt.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used CPAP for a long time, and my personal preference is to lockout the ramp and go directly to full pressure (11 cm) and it doesn't bother me a bit.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 399 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Any other option to download data from machine? BlueSky1958 2 440 07-02-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  [Equipment] DreamStation Alternative Replacement Option oneeyeopen 3 674 05-24-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: oneeyeopen
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,198 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 608 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.