Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ramp option question.
Ramp option question.
I don't think I've asked this before, so here goes. On my AirSense 10 AutoSet, you can adjust the ramp in increments of 5 min., up to 45 min. or so. Or......you can set it to auto or turn it off completely. 

Usually, I have it set on 15 min., or I'll go with the auto mode occasionally. I see on here, a lot of you keep it turned off. I left it turned off for the last few nights. 

I didn't seem to notice much difference, other than the amount of initial pressure once the machine is turned on. What is your rationale for keeping it turned off? 

Am I delaying effective treatment by having it on? What about the auto mode? I'm just trying to figure out where I should be with this optional feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ramp option question.
We use SOMETIMES for people that have trouble starting without a ramp. Most of the more experienced people here do not use a ramp, no matter how high their startting pressures are.
Post Reply Post Reply
you should use whatever you feel is best for you. I don't think I used ramp more than one or two nights at the very beginning. I don't remember why I stopped other than I figured why waste time with mask on when it's not treating me adequately. I fall asleep quickly so it's not an issue for me. I can understand that folks that take a long time to fall asleep might want to use ramp.

edit: I also have a long history of frequent full mask & machine off awakenings so reduced efficacy lower pressure ramp time would be multiplied several times over. not efficient or practical for my situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the ramp shuts off when the machine thinks you are asleep, and goes to your starting pressure by around a half hour anyway, is there a drawback to leaving it on auto?
Post Reply Post Reply
Its also to make it more comfortable for people adjusting to the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. I now have a better idea as to why it exists.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2019, 11:30 AM)WhyMe Wrote: Since the ramp shuts off when the machine thinks you are asleep, and goes to your starting pressure by around a half hour anyway, is there a drawback to leaving it on auto?

The function of ramp simply delays the start of therapeutic pressure for individuals that find it difficult to tolerate before sleep onset.  As Bonjour said, most of us that have used PAP therapy have no problem with the pressure, and even find it more comfortable to start at our full therapeutic pressure than to wait for a ramp routine.  In general, if you tolerate the pressure prior to sleep onset, just turn off the ramp.

Some possible disadvantages of ramp are:
Starting at a low pressure, may not result in as good of a mask fit and will experience leaks after reaching therapy pressure when asleep.
Most machines do not detect events or start therapeutic algorithms until ramp is completed. This may leave untreated or unrecorded events.
Ramp is more often used by individuals that are not acquainted with optimizing settings, and is frequently set too low or too long.
Changes in pressure after sleep onset may result in arousals.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At times, I tend to be an auto mode kind of guy. Tonight, I have the ramp mode and climate control mode on auto. 

Thought I'd try that and see what happens. Who knows, maybe I'll wake up tomorrow morning 10 yrs. younger........... Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started CPAP, any pressure was more than I could handle. So ramp served a purpose of starting me at a low pressure which helped me be comfortable enough to be able to fall asleep.

But after a while, I'd wake up choking as I was falling asleep. I realized that I must have become accustomed to falling asleep with pressure, and now the starting pressure is too low to control my apnea. So I turned off ramp, to allow the machine to just start at my min treatment pressure. It has worked out great!

So for me, ramp was my training wheels for when I first got CPAP and needed to learn how to fall asleep with pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
You only really need it if you find the pressure stops you from getting to sleep, if so you need to have a long run time for it to build up pressure.
You are only delaying treatment by the time it take to reach it low set pressure, chances are you are awake for most of that time, even all of it, unless you nod off very quickly. It is more a comfort thing, just to let some doze off, but more to let some people get used to the pressure before they go to sleep. I get used to it so quickly that I don't need it, but the machine "ResMed" builds up slowly anyway, though it get there quite quickly, but not before the light goes out, which is a bit annoying!
So in most cases it is just a comfort thing.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 996 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 450 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 645 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Any other option to download data from machine? BlueSky1958 2 459 07-02-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  [Equipment] DreamStation Alternative Replacement Option oneeyeopen 3 698 05-24-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: oneeyeopen
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,391 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 636 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.