Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Random nights of CSA
Random nights of CSA
I have finally started using ResScan to track my data. I am finding that while I have very few events, most of them are central rather than obstructive. But I can go days without any events and then have a night with a hour that had four centrals. Then they disappear again for a few days. I know very little about central apnea. When does it become a serious matter even when on cpap?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Random nights of CSA
Since CA is included in the AHI tally, technically it is an issue when it brings the AHI to greater than 5.
Look at the duration flags. You may have some pressure induced CA. If the flags are 10, 11, 12 seconds, then perhaps not a big deal.
I flag a 10 second CA once in a blue moon.

BTW -- Your profile says RemStar Airsense 10 -- that's not right. I believe you mean ResMed Airsense 10.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is perfectly natural to have some central events during the night. Central events are the cessation of breathing without an obstruction. A vivid dream, talking in your sleep, and other factors can cause one. For many people, just the sensation of the pressure alone can cause them. If you are having that few, don't worry about them. As long as the AHI stays below 5 and you are feeling rested, all is well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 05:47 PM)PastorMeador Wrote: I am finding that while I have very few events, most of them are central rather than obstructive. But I can go days without any events and then have a night with a hour that had four centrals. Then they disappear again for a few days. I know very little about central apnea. When does it become a serious matter even when on cpap?

Centrals can be influenced by medications or diet.

I think a random hour now and then with 5 centrals is nothing to be concerned about, especially if the centrals are short, like 20 seconds or less.

I think insurance companies never approve coverage for upgrading a standard CPAP/APAP/BiPAP machine to one capable of a backup respiration rate unless the average number of centrals per hour of sleep is 5 or higher, counting every hour of sleep.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 451 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 582 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 451 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 372 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.