Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Random periods of elevated respiratory rate
RE: Random periods of elevated respiratory rate
(03-22-2021, 05:37 PM)budor Wrote: @Sleeprider, of course it's OK. I think it's great how much this community helps each other out.
@SevereApnea, no I've never had a soft cervical collar. I plan on using Somnopose to record my sleeping position to see how it affects my stats. I just need to get something like an Ace bandage so I can attach a phone to my chest. 

I think the assumption that my heart rhythm affected my flow rate is probably accurate. I had some weird dreams that night so my heart rate might have been elevated. I don't know if I was sleeping with my mouth open or not, but if I was sleeping with my mouth open I think it's even more possible my heart rhythm affected my flow rate. My wife reminded me that, in the past she says I sometimes squeak when I breath. I know, this sounds weird. If I've exercised or had physical exertion and then rest, sometimes when I'm breathing out my mouth you can hear a slight squeak sound that is in sync with my heartbeat. It doesn't happen that often but it sometimes happens, and always when my heart is really beating. I don't know what controls when it does and doesn't happen but I think it's positional.

I turned on EPR but didn't change my low/high pressure settings, and my AHI went from around 0.5 to 1.4. I need to change the low pressure setting from 5 to at least 8 tonight.

My flow rate curve looks a bit different last night, more like a class 6. I was sleeping on my side and breathing through my nose most of last night and I think I might have been sleeping on my back and breathing through my mouth the other night.

I almost need a camera to record what the heck I'm doing each night! Smile

Hi, your flow rate curve is normal. Good news.

For the pressure, please provide a screen like sleeprider council to you.

Need to see the settings of the cpap and a global screen of the night.

But like I was thinking the epr seem to help you a lot.

0.5 and 1.4 are very low score, you have to first check the median pressure of your nights, check on a week and adjust the low pressure to this value.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Random periods of elevated respiratory rate
Conveniently the other person that is dealing with this same problem just posted. His graph as some remarkable similarities to yours.  Same pattern as you can see below.  We have seen this on the forum a number of times, but I have not been able to connect any research to it, and I really think the Class 3 flow limitation is just the classification, but we don't know how to best deal with it.  This form of inspiratory flow limitation is not of interest to "sleep doctors" because they are frankly dispensaries for obstructive sleep apnea and flow limitation is not even on their radar. Insurance doesn't cover it. It is not documented, and needs to be researched and a therapy identified.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30733]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 13 34 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 114 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 89 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.