Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rank Newbie
Rank Newbie
Hiyas Smile 
Firstly, thanks for making the forum. 
I've been doing some reading this last week or so, trying to get my head around what it will mean to use a machine as a way of life. Apparently my level is 'severe'. 

Part of me is looking forward to it - I'm hopeful of a change in my energy and concentration levels, not to mention potential weight loss after a few years of living with Hashimoto's with little change with medication and twice -weekly intense training sessions.
Will be interesting indeed. 

I'm booked in for the second sleep study with a machine in a couple of weeks, then will have to work out the best machine and purchase/hire options from there. So hopefully with the help of good information, my journey to Nod Nirvana will be as straightforward as it possibly could be. 

Cheers Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rank Newbie
Good luck with your new Machine!   Welcome
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Never thought I'd ever tolerate much less promote CPAP as a treatment.  I couldn't live without mine now!  The mild inconvenience of the mask/hose far is far outweighed by the benefits.  I sleep SOO much better now.  Couldn't imagine not having it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Doza,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and your new machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, all Smile
No doubt I'll be filling it up myself once I have this titration study done then a prescription, and have to choose a machine.
Lots more reading to do in the meantime, even if context will be difficult until I actually get one of these things strapped to my face :lol:
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Doza. Welcome to Apnea Board.

When it comes to choosing a machine, there are a number of factors to take into account:

1. If you have standard obstructive apnea, then the best machine is a Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her. Advantages include a) made in Australia; b) The autoset function will adjust pressure as required to meet changing circumstances (even mundane things like sleeping on your back or side); c) The "For Her" includes an extra algorithm which provides gentler pressure changes and is (apparently) more attuned to the patterns of apneas experienced by women; d) The Resmed machines typically respond much faster to precursors, killing many apneas before they get a chance to develop; e) These machines are supported by #SleepyHead software to allow you to monitor and optimise your own treatment.

2. If you have pre-existing conditions such as respiratory diseases you will likely need a bilevel machine. The Resmed Lumis range are probably the best around. However you'll need some detailed personal advice about what is best for your condition.

3. If you have central apnea or mixed apnea you will likely need a adaptive servo ventilator (ASV). These are really expensive, so tend to be used as a last resort. However for the right candidate (eg me) they are miracle-workers. Again, the Resmed is the brand to go for (in my opinion).

4. I prefer Resmeds, others prefer Philips. Is a Holden / Ford situation. There are other good machines on the market such as Fisher & Paykel, DeVilbiss and others. Also there are a lot of Chinese machines (eg BMC) starting to appear. These are probably all good machines, but Resmed and Philips are the market leaders, with a very broad user base (especially in forums like this) and generally are supported by #SleepyHead. If you are tempted to go for one of the other brands you need to consider whether they provide detailed data to monitor your progress and optimise your treatment. All machines provide basic information, but you really need a lot of detail to make the best decisions.

5. The mask is as important as the machine. If the mask is uncomfortable or leaks, then the best machine in the world will do you no good. Make sure you have the opportunity to try on several different types to see what suits you best. Ensure you have the option of returning a mask if you don't like it.

6. Prices in Australia (even for machines made in Australia) are generally much higher than in the US. You might want to look at importing a machines and saving yourself $$$. The downside of private importing is that there will be no warranty coverage in this country - if something goes wrong you will need to return the machine to America. In making the decision, you need to take into account exchange rates, freight / postage, and Customs handling fee (GST exempt but there is a fee between $50 and $80). Also factor in the lack of local warranty.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your next sleep study and come back with any questions you may have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, DeepBreathing Smile
Will come back to your precis, which is very helpful. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. The Aussies here, and there are quite a few of them, will keep us Yanks in line especially when it comes to country specific issues as DB did above.

I would ask you to post the results of your 1st sleep study because it likely contains important info about what kinds of apnea You have. Specifically the presence of central and or complex apnea.
Read the mask primer. It contains a lot of info on masks and leaks. Take advantage of every opportunity you can to try different masks. Your upcoming titration sleep study is such an opportunity. Again read the Mask Primer.
The other links in my signature cover posting charts and a lot of info about apnea and therapy.

Above all else if you have any questions please feel free to ask them here.

Fred mi
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour,   Bonjour! 
Thanks for that Smile
I'll see if I can get a shot of my first results up from the PC tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2017, 04:12 AM)Doza Wrote: Bonjour,   Bonjour! 
Thanks for that Smile
I'll see if I can get a shot of my first results up from the PC tomorrow.

I get that all the time.  It gets really fun if I go to see a show in time.

Me: (Approaching the will call window)  Bonjour
They: Bonjour, What's your last name?
Me: Bonjour
They: Bonjour, What's your last name?
Me: (what are they, dense or something) Bonjour!,  my last name is Bonjour!   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 440 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 237 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 333 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.