Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ranking SH events or readings by severity?
Ranking SH events or readings by severity?
Reading SleepyHead data for the first time, it would it be useful to have some guidance on how to rank negative events and elevated readings by importance.

After less than six months of CPAP, I finally got to get my data into SH, but reading it, I have trouble going beyond AHI and main disruptions.

There may be some obvious correlations there, hard to tell.

As an example initial prescribed 9 cm/H2O produced high periodic breathing, but my later tweak into variable 6-10, was less PB, but more hypopnea.... but the hypopnea is already computed into the AHI rating the overall experience!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ranking SleepyHead events or readings by severity?
This is the nutshell version.  Obviously, the higher the disruption the more significant the event is.

Event Definition Apnea, Hypopnea, Flow Limitation 
* Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA): 80% to 100% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds
* Hypopnea: 50% to 80% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds
* Flow Limitation: <50% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds
These events may be either Obstructive or Central in nature
They represent different degrees of similar events.  All of these may be disruptive. 
While Central Hypopneas are important in diagnosing Central/Mixed/Complex apnea they are not monitored in most Sleep Studies.

The other rule is What is your AHI?  Again the higher the AHI the more significant it is.  The Medical community says you are sufficiently treated if your AHI is under 5, we like to see less than that.  Once you are in this area focus shifts entirely to how you feel.  How you feel is always important 

1 off events are almost always insignificant.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ranking SleepyHead events or readings by severity?
You also want to look at how long events last. Obviously, an 11-second event is less worrisome than a 31-second event.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 407 4 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 45 8 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 182 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 273 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.