Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

(Rant) Returning machine today
(Rant) Returning machine today
I've had enough...I'm done.

Made one more attempt last night. Turned humidifier off. Plenty of humidity anyway. Sinuses are shutdown for the season...so 100% mouth breathing. 

By the end of the rampup time my mouth is wide open...seal is popping with every exhale...and I'm nowhere close to asleep.

Mask back to nightstand....asleep in 5 minutes.

I really don't care if they give me another machine or not...its just not that important to me at the moment. 

Sorry for being negative....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: (Rant) Returning machine today
I'm a Simplus fan Doubt fire. I love the mask. My wife just started CPAP therapy this week and I put a Simplus on her and got the straps nice. Nope. She hates the mask. It doesn't work well for her at all. She's probably never going to use it again. And that's fine. She's using a Resmed airfit f10 now. It's a full face mask and she's having good night's albeit she's still struggling with having something on her face. We are going to a DME this evening after we pickup her prescription. I'm going to see what they have there and and since we're paying out of pocket I'm going to get her to try on many masks and sizes. I'd be glad to let you know of what she picks out.
I just remembered that she really hates the bar that comes up to her forehead. She was really bent out of shape on account of the mask design. But she has options, as do you.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
In your other thread, you were advised to swap out the machine for a different one but your doctor said:

Quote:Heard back from doc, who says the provider says they cant change to APAP until I have "more time" on this...Hippocrates is rolling. Supposed to get a call today for an appointment for adjustments and a new mask.

Maybe it is time to tell him that this one is a FAIL and that you insist on an APAP?

The DME ("provider") is not the one that determines what machine you get, your doctor does.

If you can get your hands on a more data capable machine, then the knowledgeable people here can help you get it setup properly. I truly believe that they could help you acheive a comfortable treatment.

Your AHI at 110, was it?, is much too high to go without treatment, so I am hoping that your thread title means that you are going to insist on a better machine and not that you are giving up completely.

I refer you back to this post by SleepRider to refresh your memory (cause I've been there - until you get successful treatment, information is really really hard to process):

First Night [and Other Nights] post 6

We've got your back. Just don't give up.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it helps any, I was at THAT same place in my apnea therapy in 2015 because I was getting zero support from my Pulmonary Duck (doctor) with the CPAP machine. He prescribed it and was like "Here it is. Use it. You're cured because I declare it." Uh, no that isn't real patient care IMO. Patient support includes looking at the results and determining if anything can be changed to the individual needs of the patient.

It took me 2.5 more years to get the proper machine, to find tons of help here at Apnea Board, and finally getting used to using the blower nightly. Was it easy? NO! Was it worth it? YES! Not in any form of arrogance, but I decided I was worth getting proper medical treatment, and I took action to see I got it. That meant getting the apneas under control. For me, it was literally life or death. I chose life. And that meant apnea therapy was required to work well. It's obviously your decision, but I wished to share that you aren't the only person that had this situation occur.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Couple of points...

I was never advised to swap out the machine. I asked my doc (GP) to have it swapped out...how they determined not to is beyond my knowledge...I assume she talked to the provider or the sleep study folks.

It felt really good to drop that piece of junk off today....even it it means losing my copay. They were nice enough to offer to go rattle the doc and whoever else about moving to an APAP...

I said sure...but added I am not in the mind to deal with it today.

We'll see what happens next...
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are offered the Autoset, take it. The feedback from the data and knowing that the machine is working for you, or what steps you need to take to make it work better, are very motivating. You did the right thing, and the only way you will have your needs met. FWIW, a CPAP is a CPAP whether it a fixed brick or top of the line Autoset. Your doctor does not really need to change the prescription, and the Autoset could be delivered to you with the prescribed pressure. The difference would be feedback data and the ability to do much more with that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep apnea is not just a sleep thing. It is a systemic thing. During an apnea event, you are not breathing. This means CO (and other chemicals) is not being expelled from your blood through the lungs. As a result of this, the oxygen level in your blood decreases. Every cell in your body is momentarily deprived of the level of oxygen it needs. This starts a chain reaction of events throughout the body as it struggles. The most affected organ is the heart. Long term issues start with hypertension. Other organs begin to react to the constant chemical onslaught that happens night after night with each apnea event.

If you don't use your CPAP, your death will be slow, yes, but it will be full of medication, doctor visits, and chronic illnesses.

Sure, it is a pain in the ass. None of us LOVE putting on the mask every night. I would bet nearly all of us struggle with mask and machine issues on a regular basis. But it beats the alternative. And we are here for each other and for you. Don't give up just yet. Give it more time. Time for you to find the right mask and right machine and to think over the alternative.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2018, 09:50 AM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: I've had enough...I'm done.

I really don't care if they give me another machine or not...its just not that important to me at the moment. 

As my sleep doc explained to me many years ago: The only realistic alternative to receiving needed sleep apnea therapy is not waking up some morning,  or falling asleep at inopportune moments - like while driving!  Neither scenario is conducive to a long life and thus should be very important to you!  oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2018, 09:50 AM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: I've had enough...I'm done.

Made one more attempt last night. Turned humidifier off. Plenty of humidity anyway. Sinuses are shutdown for the season...so 100% mouth breathing. 

By the end of the rampup time my mouth is wide open...seal is popping with every exhale...and I'm nowhere close to asleep.

Mask back to nightstand....asleep in 5 minutes.

Sorry for being negative....

OK.

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Think about how your family would feel if you passed away early and all you had to do to prevent it was wear a mask a night.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 817 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 674 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine. blakeh36 1 374 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Rant about insurance, sleep study, and costs Stuff 8 1,142 06-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.