Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

(Rant) Returning machine today
RE: (Rant) Returning machine today
If you have the F&P Simplus and it's leaking, even with mouth breathing, at a pressure of 13, the mask is either the wrong size, not fit correctly, or simply doesn't fit your face. I use the Simplus with a bi-level machine and use much higher pressures than you and my 95% leak rate for an entire night is between 0 - 5 liters per minute.

Order some masks online and use the free returns insurance option where you can trial them for free for 30 days until you find the one that works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got a message from the provider.. the APAP has been prescribed.... pressure range from 4-20...

I'll pick it up Monday ... I guess I'll see what my other mask options are as well...
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pleased that you chose what I believe to be the ONLY course of action to prolong your life. 

Load the #sleepyhead software and forum members will help you "dial it in" to achieve best results. Ask the DME to set your EPR at 3 to provide an easier exhale. 

As for the mask, I have found very few people who did not have to experiment with various masks and fitting tricks. 

I wish you a better night's sleep for a better tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to see that you're going to stick with it at this point. We're here to help and support you.

I wasn't a happy camper when I was told that I had to use CPAP. Then, I thought back to when I was 11 years old and prescribed spectacles for myopia. I was in denial for a while but my parents gently talked me through it. So if I could adapt to having this thing on my face while I was awake, surely my brain and body would adapt to having something different on my face while I was asleep.

The first six months were not good, then I discovered this forum! I now have no qualms about putting the mask on each night and the thought of not having PAP therapy for a single night is mortifying because I know how crap I will feel next morning and during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good for you for getting a good machine that will serve your needs! This forum can help you with the rest. (Well, you'll have to experiment with masks so you can find one you prefer.)

Be patient. You can do it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done, you prob want a starting pressure of 6 rather than the out of the box 4-20 as 4 may feel like your suffocating. Good job on the replacement machine
Post Reply Post Reply
DoubtFire61,
If the machine is not for you, you did the right thing by handing it back.
If they offer you an Autoset grab it, at least if it is a Data capable machine you can read the data and adjust you therapy yourself to get better results.  Assuming you do not need one of the more complicated machines.
I tried three machines just lately, a Dreamstation, ResmedS9 and a ResMedAirsense10Autoset.  The one I found had the edge was the ResMedAirsense10Autoset.  The other were ok, but the Airsense10Autoset was smaller, quieter and responded just a slight bit better that the others.  The S9 was ok, but a bit bulky and getting on a bit and clipped together in an awkward way.  The Dreamstation, well it is an odd sort of design, it worked ok, bit slower in responding, but it did ok, but the ResMedAirsense10Autoset came out top of the others, so I kept it and put back the others.   Trust me, it is one of the best out there.
I

However, this is not about me, it is about you!

Have you got anywhere regarding masks, machines etc?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great news! While at the DME yesterday evening, my wife was given a Resmed Airfit F20 full face mask. She didn't complain this morning. The mask they gave her was a demo, so when we go back in a week, she can pick a different mask if she doesn't like this one. They will let her try as many demos as she wants until she gets a mask that best suits her. I encourage you to try the demos your DME offers the same. Whenever she chooses the mask that best suits her she's going to receive a new mask setup. Again, glad to hear the good news.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Try to verify what model Auto CPAP is being dispensed before going to pick it up. Ideal would be Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Try to advocate for that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you're not quitting CPAP. I would have quit if I'd not found the Apnea Board when I was on a BiPAP. I'm glad I didn't quit.

There's members here that in a way helped save my life literally. These same members will do everything that they can to teach you how to optimize your therapy.

Trust me it will get better with a time and effort investment from you.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 813 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine. blakeh36 1 372 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,139 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Rant about insurance, sleep study, and costs Stuff 8 1,141 06-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.