Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Rant - Want to throw IPhone out the window
I am so frustrated with my new Iphone 5S. As a former blackberry owner, I so looked forward to being able to sync my contacts and calendar information to my phone every time I entered the information on my Imac.

Seemed like a reasonable expectation right? Well, silly me for thinking that.

Well, after alot of struggle, I finally got everything working through Icloud. Unfortunately, after an IOS update to 9.2, that is no longer the case. Somehow, I got the calendar problems resolved but unfortunately, that didn't last long.

I searched the internet forums and tried signing out of icloud, resetting my phone, and then signed back in again to no avail. I made sure the settings were enabled on the phone in icloud for mail, contact, calendar, notes, and reminders. And by the way, information I enter on the computer in notes and reminders syncs fine to the phone.

If anyone else has experienced this problem and resolved it, can you let me know what you did? I am about to call Apple in a little while but it sounds like they are pretty clueless about the problem. But one can hope, right?

Thanks for letting me vent.

49er

PS - Just added a dummy event on the iphone calendar and everything transferred over. Guess I may have to use that as a temporary workaround.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2015 08:20 AM by 49er.)
12-28-2015 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

RE: Rant - Want to throw IPhone out the window
Resistance is futile. You have been iSimilated. You have become one with the iBorg.

I have a buddy who has a lot of precious pictures on his iPhone. The iPhone won't let him download them to another computers. He should be able to, but it doesn't work. You can't just plug in the USB and access the pictures, and iTunes should let him access them, but it doesn't.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
12-28-2015 04:48 PM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

(12-28-2015 04:48 PM)archangle Wrote:  Resistance is futile. You have been iSimilated. You have become one with the iBorg.

I have a buddy who has a lot of precious pictures on his iPhone. The iPhone won't let him download them to another computers. He should be able to, but it doesn't work. You can't just plug in the USB and access the pictures, and iTunes should let him access them, but it doesn't.

Thanks for a good laugh archangle although I am sorry your friend is having difficulties also. I am curious, are these other computers MACs, Windows, or a combination?

49er
12-29-2015 04:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SaldusMiegas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: P-10, F&P Simplus
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: Rx:14, Set:Auto 8.0-15.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Woot! P-10 pillows plus Ruby chinstrap for side-sleeping mouth breathers

Sex: Male

Don't ya hate it when phones start misbehaving like computers?

I moved from android to iphone because the android was sluggish, occasionally blew up (android equivalent of blue screen of death), and worst offense was the lag from when I push the button until it finally snapped a picture.

When I played with an iPhone camera I was hooked. Even though I couldn't find some of the apps I used on android, I made the jump and haven't looked back.

Been mostly loving the iphone, although my iPhone 4s is showing signs of age, running a little slow, unable to install some new apps on iOS 7 which I refuse to upgrade.

I don't know the issues with Apple-apple integration but apple is famous for it's stuff simply working. Steve Jobs was a fanatic about that, could Apple have veered off course without him?

My computers are PCs these days, and I have no problem synching mail and calendar (gmail, google calendar with iPhone Mail and calendar). Also moving pictures to the computer by simply plugging in a USB cable works as expected and I only use iTunes to manage music, photos are copied to the PC using windows not iTunes.

Sounds like maybe there's a glitch with your iTunes configuration? Wonder if it is possible that you have a newer iOS than the corresponding iTunes on the computer?

If you are having issues lots of other people will be. Google search is your friend here. If no joy there, maybe go visit an apple store and consult a resident apple genius?

The problems you guys describe are with fundamental features which everyone uses. The answers are out there, don't give up.

Saldus Miegas
12-31-2015 10:04 AM
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Apple, Microsoft and Google are all directing their business towards an "ecosystem" based on cloud applications, synced information and data storage. I suspect that if both your computers and phone were syncing through the cloud infrastructure, syncing would be both simple and automatic; however you pay for that space and service. It's kind of nefarious, however it's their bet that eventually you will capitulate to make your life simpler. As you get drawn deeper into the ecosystem of products and services, you pay more fees and are less likely to look for hardware outside of that system.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

12-31-2015 10:33 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
whmagill Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto set
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit 10
Humidifier: built in
CPAP Pressure: 5-18

Other Comments: Mac OSX 10.11.3

(12-28-2015 08:18 AM)49er Wrote:  I am so frustrated with my new Iphone 5S. As a former blackberry owner, I so looked forward to being able to sync my contacts and calendar information to my phone every time I entered the information on my Imac.

Seemed like a reasonable expectation right? Well, silly me for thinking that.

Well, after alot of struggle, I finally got everything working through Icloud. Unfortunately, after an IOS update to 9.2, that is no longer the case. Somehow, I got the calendar problems resolved but unfortunately, that didn't last long.

I searched the internet forums and tried signing out of icloud, resetting my phone, and then signed back in again to no avail. I made sure the settings were enabled on the phone in icloud for mail, contact, calendar, notes, and reminders. And by the way, information I enter on the computer in notes and reminders syncs fine to the phone.

If anyone else has experienced this problem and resolved it, can you let me know what you did? I am about to call Apple in a little while but it sounds like they are pretty clueless about the problem. But one can hope, right?

Thanks for letting me vent.

49er

PS - Just added a dummy event on the iphone calendar and everything transferred over. Guess I may have to use that as a temporary workaround.
Long-time Mac user with an iMac (10.11.2)/Anqique iPhone 3Gs (IOS 6.1)/iPad(IOS 9.2) all synching nicely as well as shared calendars with my girlfriend's iPad (IOS 9.2).

Several comments.
1- Since you have a new iPhone -- you have Apple telephone support for 30 days, or longer if you got Apple Care with it. (But I suspect that, since it is a 5s, you got it as a "freebe" from Verizon.) Go to support/apple.com select iPhone and at the bottom "Contact support" schedule them to call you!

2- Verify - on your iMac - Calendar app/Preferences/Accounts/iCloud --- A) check - Enable this account B) Refresh Calendars as "Push." You can select more frequent updates or manual, but they are not recommended.

3- Verify - on your iPhone (iPad) - General / Mail, Contacts, Calendars -- A) at the top - Fetch new Data. set to Push. (other settings will not apply when Push is turned on. This means that updates on your phone/pad will automatically be PUSHED to the cloud when you have connectivity (nominally when connected via WiFi, but it will eventually happen over Cellular Data.)
B) at the bottom under Calendar, Set your "Sync" setting. To pick-up old settings, set it to "all events" and wait 24 hours (making sure you have connectivity to the cloud at least part of the time) and then set it back to ?1 month? or whatever.

4- Contacts is similar - A) Preferences should be "Fetch - Automatically"

Bill Magill
Retired computing and networking professional
(ARPAnet, Unix and Mac OSX)
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
but actually — from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint —
it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
The Doctor
12-31-2015 11:05 AM
whmagill Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit 10
Humidifier: built in
CPAP Pressure: 5-18

Other Comments: Mac OSX 10.11.3

(12-31-2015 10:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Apple, Microsoft and Google are all directing their business towards an "ecosystem" based on cloud applications, synced information and data storage. I suspect that if both your computers and phone were syncing through the cloud infrastructure, syncing would be both simple and automatic; however you pay for that space and service. It's kind of nefarious, however it's their bet that eventually you will capitulate to make your life simpler. As you get drawn deeper into the ecosystem of products and services, you pay more fees and are less likely to look for hardware outside of that system.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
Neither basic access to iCloud nor Google's Cloud costs money.

With both -- unless you are intent on collecting massive amounts of photographs (which is what the vendors count on) you get 4 or 5 gigs worth of storage automatically with your account - for free, which is more than enough to provide all of the necessary transfer services and backup storage.

Cloud storage is only expensive when you begin storing documents and photos (to share across all your devices) in the cloud.

Bill Magill
Retired computing and networking professional
(ARPAnet, Unix and Mac OSX)
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
but actually — from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint —
it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
The Doctor
12-31-2015 11:10 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

How about adding AT&T to the rant. My wife's iPhone 4 is tired and needs to be replaced. I have had cellular service with AT&T since 1984. Remember the Motorola bricks? I currently have 4 iPhones on my account. In the old days you could pay a fee and commit to a 2 year contract and keep going. Now, no matter how I work things out, I will end up paying significantly more per month. My phone bill is bigger than my car payment!

iOS 9 really stinks. Anyone had a problem with unreliable alarm settings?

Rant off....

Sleep is worth the effort.
12-31-2015 12:28 PM
SaldusMiegas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: P-10, F&P Simplus
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: Rx:14, Set:Auto 8.0-15.0

Other Comments: Woot! P-10 pillows plus Ruby chinstrap for side-sleeping mouth breathers

Foss,

I'm pretty happy with AT&T. Been with them since I left verizon about 10 years ago.

If you haven't reviewed plans in a while (sounds like you have) you might be pleasantly surprised.

Of course they always want to lock you in, and I still see offers for the 2 year commitment with a price break on new phones. We use a non-contract shared family plan, and buy the phones outright. Financed over the same time frame we pay full price for the phones with lower cost plans.

Still costs a small fortune but I have the illusion that I can walk away any time by paying off the phone. And since we keep phones a long time, the lower plan price is more attractive than a new every 2.

They also seem to appreciate long term customers -- on several occasions over the years I asked how to lower my bill and got transferred to customer service reps who surprised me by knocking down costs or adding features for free forever.

They will let you stay on antiquated plans forever if you want. I met someone who told me they were on unlimited voice plans for four lines at $1200 per month getting their new every two for years until one sales rep told them they could use newer family plans to reduce their monthly down to under three hundred. Huge savings they simply didn't know about. That was an extreme case of someone who wasn't aware of fundamental changes driven by fierce competition, YMMV.

Anyways my point is there might be a lot to gain for the asking.

Cheers

Saldus Miegas
12-31-2015 02:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

There are increasing reports in our local news outlets about the iPhone battery catching on fire. One fellow had to pull off his pants in the middle of a Home Depot parking lot to avoid further burns when his iPhone caught on fire in his pocket. These news reports further stated that Apple is quietly replacing these phones to avoid media attention.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
12-31-2015 03:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iOS 10 out tommorrow -- upgrade an iPhone 6? justMongo 25 746 09-18-2016 01:26 PM
Last Post: AlanE
Exclaimation A little rant about walking in the road in the dark. pupcamper 12 474 09-03-2016 07:35 PM
Last Post: pupcamper
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 552 12-20-2015 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  New iPhone 5 ad cbramsey 6 2,788 09-25-2012 07:58 AM
Last Post: mjbearit
  Can’t transfer photos from iphone to pc!? Wentworth Miller 5 2,511 09-07-2012 07:10 AM
Last Post: weeble